5jj R1 Ais removal

paul8899

Hello,

just about to remove the ais system from my 5jj R1 and I have a couple of questions

on the vent that goes to the air filter, do I just plug the hole up in the airbox where the original pipe goes and how do you plug the holes up on the pipe that comes out of the head ?

I was thinking of either making up some covers that go over the top of them or aralditing some plugs inside to seal them off

Has anyone else done this ??

Thanks

just had a quick google and the araldite I have starts going soft at 60 - 70c and goes runny at 90 - 100c , dont suppose anyone knows how hot the cylinder head gets on the outside ?

I have done this mod and it's well worth doing

I plugged the hole in the air box

The holes in the head can be a little tricky, first you have to pull out the cast alloy things that are pressed in

I did this with mole grips and some patience, work them loose gently bit by bit and then pull them out

After you've pulled them out, get a helicoil kit a tap the holes

Then put bolts or allen heads in them wwith some locktight

You'll be surprised at how heavy all that crap is

You can change the air box for a 98 model and it's got less holes in it

Have fun :eusa_dance:

the way I decided to block off the inlet pipes going to the head was to cut the connector off the pipework,put an 8mm screw in and weld it up , I thought about taking the the joints out of the head but I decided against it .

I was quite surprised how much space the pump took up on the front of the engine, makes it a lot easier to get to the oil filter

Just a quick question, there were 2 pipes going to the pump , the bigger one ( which I blanked off at the airbox ) and a small one , what did you do with that one ?

Just have to wait till it gets a bit warmer to try it out now !!

the way I decided to block off the inlet pipes going to the head was to cut the connector off the pipework,put an 8mm screw in and weld it up , I thought about taking the the joints out of the head but I decided against it .

I was quite surprised how much space the pump took up on the front of the engine, makes it a lot easier to get to the oil filter

Just a quick question, there were 2 pipes going to the pump , the bigger one ( which I blanked off at the airbox ) and a small one , what did you do with that one ?

Just have to wait till it gets a bit warmer to try it out now !!

Here's what i did with the smal pipe

DSCF0835.jpg

It is the pipe that sucks a vacuum to activate the AIS thingy. I made an alloy plug on the lathe and plugged it

I have now put the airbox from the 98 on my bike, so that takes care of the larger hole

If look carefuly at this picture, you can see where i've plugged the head with allen bolts after a little session with a helicoil

DSCF0772.jpg

nice helicoiling, I thought about doing that but I haven't got the patience for it , might do that if / when I get an akra system .

heres what I did with my ends

DSC02124.jpg

Thanks for letting me know what you did with the little pipe, Ill make a bung up at work tomorrow

nice helicoiling, I thought about doing that but I haven't got the patience for it , might do that if / when I get an akra system .

heres what I did with my ends

DSC02124.jpg

Thanks for letting me know what you did with the little pipe, Ill make a bung up at work tomorrow

Those alloy pipe things that come out of the head are a bitch to get out...

I used molegrips, grip them and gently work them with some patience

as you wobble them side to side, they gradually get looser and eventuly come out

You do need some patience though :thumbsup:

Archived