Fork rebuild

igor

Myself and Cazabee are in the middle of fitting new fork seals and progresive springs to the Bandit 12. We have done one fork leg without a hitch but the other is not wanting to play ball. We are totally stuck as the damper rod bolt just keeps on spinning. We have taken the springs out and put them in many many times now. I have been putting all my weight (and thats a lot) on the fork to compress it while Cazabee tries to undo the damper rod bolt but it just keeps spinning.

Any advice would help a lot.

Yeah i can get the top caps on no problem. The problem is the damper rod bolt at the bottom of the forks. The first leg took me 2 hours but this leg has taken 3 so far. I thought it was all going to smoothly.

If it has compression damping adjustment on the top of the fork they can be an ass because there is a rod running down the center of the whole fork but if not here is what I have done on my Faze

Take the cap off and spring out and empty oil out, next take a broom handle and put it in a vice with enough poking out to reach inside the fork and down to the damper, push the fork down onto the broom handle and undo the bolt, sometimes the broom handle needs shaving down a bit so it fits tight inside the damper rod.

if it has a damper adjustment rod down the middle and you have already removed 1 damper then you can use it as a template to make a tool like the broom handel but with a hole or space down the middle for the adjustment rod.

I have made a tool for Thundercat forks out of some metal shelfing angle iron cut down to fit inside the damper which has a square hole in it.

this was held with an ajustable spanner whilst the bolt was undone.

You will need the tool to torque them back up as well.

Hope this helps

If it has compression damping adjustment on the top of the fork they can be an ass because there is a rod running down the center of the whole fork but if not here is what I have done on my Faze

Take the cap off and spring out and empty oil out, next take a broom handle and put it in a vice with enough poking out to reach inside the fork and down to the damper, push the fork down onto the broom handle and undo the bolt, sometimes the broom handle needs shaving down a bit so it fits tight inside the damper rod.

if it has a damper adjustment rod down the middle and you have already removed 1 damper then you can use it as a template to make a tool like the broom handel but with a hole or space down the middle for the adjustment rod.

I have made a tool for Thundercat forks out of some metal shelfing angle iron cut down to fit inside the damper which has a square hole in it.

this was held with an ajustable spanner whilst the bolt was undone.

You will need the tool to torque them back up as well.

Hope this helps

It was a good idea and i did run off to grab the broom or mop but when i looked down the evil fork leg there is no way it would fit. The damper in the fork is mahoosive and fills the fork leg. We are going to try again when i have had my tea. The extra weight might help.

Just need to fiind something a bit bigger than a broom handle then or a length of batton cut down to the right size. or wrap a reel of duct tape round the end of the broom.

Have you tried heating the bolt up a bit? Don't know if you'll be able to get much heat onto it if it's hidden, but it might help/

I usually do it by 'shock' loading it--i.e. an impact gun or air gun.Also make sure you fit the tool into the socket at the bottom and give it a few sharp taps-find lots of people smother them in looooads of threadlock

What you need is a rattlegun and the suitable tool to hold the cartridge whilst turning the bolt.Neither which you have.

I would suggest as a last resort,Drill the bolt,get a 8 or10mm drillbit,first check with the other fork to see if the bolt size is 8mm or 10mm,

Invert the fork in a vice and carefully drill the head off of the bolt which will allow the cartridge to be removed,then remove the remains of the bolt from the cart,give the fork a good flush out to remove any swarf before you seperate the tubes.You will then need a new bolt and a new copper washer. :icon_blackeye:

ah im on your wave thength now,had the same problem my self earler this year,your fucked!onlt wat to get it out,is to aplie presure on to the spring assembely,(compress the fork down to its lowest lenght,with a sash clamp,this will then lock the inside fork asembley on to the fork leg ,enough to be able to tighten the bolt up,is a bir fadicel,but it does work.

ah im on your wave thength now,had the same problem my self earler this year,your fucked!onlt wat to get it out,is to aplie presure on to the spring assembely,(compress the fork down to its lowest lenght,with a sash clamp,this will then lock the inside fork asembley on to the fork leg ,enough to be able to tighten the bolt up,is a bir fadicel,but it does work.

I've got an impact wrench you can borrow, if you think it'll help. The little sockety bits are only quite short on it though, so I guess you'll need to find some longer bits, but it's yours if you want it.

I made a tool about 20 yrs ago that seems to work on every RWU fork since 1836!!

Simply get a piece of 1/2 inch square bar and grind/file it into a point from 1 inch up the length then harden about a 3rd of the way up. You your gas cooker flame will do it :icon_puke_r:

Then insert said tool into your fork leg and give it a good tap and it will bite in the top of the damper rod and you can turn the allen bot in the bottom! :sFun_doh2:

We will try again this morning after lots of coffee. I have treid the inpact wrench aproach and its no use. If we run into problems we will go to a garage and ask if they can just rattle gun it out.

We have no vice and no tie down straps. We are working with the bare minimum. More later.

did you get it undone?

The froke leg had been left upside down over night to drain off any oil hopeing it would undo but no. We then tried to do what you surgested with the broom handle and that did'nt work.

We have given up today and are going to take the evil frork leg from hell to a garage and ask the buzgun opperator to give it a quick blast. That will have to be tomorrow as most garages are shut today.

I fookin love and need a buzgun.

What Cazabee and myself have been trying to do for nearly two days has just taken 20 seconds with a buzgun. The damper rod bolt is out and now we can carry on with the rebuild. The only problem now is time as i am on nights for the next 4 nights. :eusa_whistle:

You might need the air gun to tighten it back up again, i know i did on a set of KR1S forks.

Grrrr all was going fine till you posted that.

Now i need to go back to the nice man with the buzgun and beg him to tighten it now and its all your fault.

I know its not your fault but i need someone to blame.

Just been back to the bike shop and begged him to tighten up the damper rod bolt. All sorted and he wanted no cash again. I know its a tiny job for him but it was appreciated so i left him a case of larger. He was most happy and i think he has something to do for the rest of the day. :eusa_think:

One day in the not too distant future, I'll have a garage with a compressor and I'll be able to do these sorts of things for you whenever you need them. I too accept lager, although to be honest, I tend to drink more red wine than anything else. Remember that, OK.

Red wine you say. Hmmm :rolleyes: I am sure i have a couple of bottles stashed away for such an ocasion. I don't drink it and Cazabee is tee total.

They are to be placed on one side maked. Lorenzo favours.

Yours next time i see you mate unless i see you unexpected as i am not the sort of person who would carry them with me everywhere, just in case. :icon_blackeye:

top work for perservering, id have had the grinder to the bolt by now :icon_blackeye: or dremmel even if its the bolt inbetween the bottom of the fork legs

Red wine you say. Hmmm :eusa_think: I am sure i have a couple of bottles stashed away for such an ocasion. I don't drink it and Cazabee is tee total.

They are to be placed on one side maked. Lorenzo favours.

Yours next time i see you mate unless i see you unexpected as i am not the sort of person who would carry them with me everywhere, just in case. :(

Wait until I've got the compressor so I can A: do you a favour worthy of a bottle, and B: squirt it down my throat with a spray gun.

Archived