Things to look out for when buying a used bike?

JambroGPR

Ello mate-a Derbi gpr huh?i've serviced a few of them-dont worry about consumables like pads,bearings etc although DO NOT buy chain and sprockets from derbi-they're astronomical prices(b&c made custom ones for a fraction of the cost).The engines are fine(same as a yamaha tzr)so really check the bodywork is in good condition as i dread to think of the cost!!Sidestand brackets can bend quite easily,we've had one with a porous brake caliper(needed replacing)and the mirrors can break the brackets a little too easily(check them for crash damage too).Apart from that its the usual problems you would associate with a teenager owning them usually-i.e. neglect and let everything wear out-might be able to drive his price down from all the worn parts?tyres,c&s,pads.good luck!!

Ello mate-a Derbi gpr huh?i've serviced a few of them-dont worry about consumables like pads,bearings etc although DO NOT buy chain and sprockets from derbi-they're astronomical prices(b&c made custom ones for a fraction of the cost).The engines are fine(same as a yamaha tzr)so really check the bodywork is in good condition as i dread to think of the cost!!Sidestand brackets can bend quite easily,we've had one with a porous brake caliper(needed replacing)and the mirrors can break the brackets a little too easily(check them for crash damage too).Apart from that its the usual problems you would associate with a teenager owning them usually-i.e. neglect and let everything wear out-might be able to drive his price down from all the worn parts?tyres,c&s,pads.good luck!!

I've already got a Derbi GPR, had it about 6 months and loving it! :thumbsup:

The bike I'm looking at is a '93 Aprilia AF1 Sport Pro. Have you had any experience with these?

Didn't manage to get around to have another look this afternoon, so I'm going tomorrow morning instead.

Sorry mate-not really much experience with the af1 apart from lots of my mates had them when i was a teenager-they looked cool.i didn't!Done a few rs125's which seem to be quite alright so long as they're taken care of-i guess the big thing is condition of the cylinder bore so check it starts no problem.Sorry i cant be of much use with that model when it comes to inherent problems

Archived