Swarf on drainplug

dhtmbowen

I am stripping the top end of my KTM superduke for a winter half rebuild.

When I drained the oil I had 4 or 5 bits of metal ranging from 3 to 5mm long stuck to the magnetic bit on the drainplug and some other assorted crap. Some silver and some black in colour all attracted to the magnet.

As I say I'm stripping the heads and barrels and have all the bits I need for a full top end rebuild including rings, gudgeon pins, camchain tensioners, etc.

Advice please.

If I cannot find significant damage to ferrous components in the top of the motor does that mean a complete strip down?

With this amount of metal should I be worried / not worried or gently put everything back where I found it and flog it fast?

The drain plug in my KTM looked like this, not long before my bloody expensive rebuild.

SDC11340.jpg

SDC11336.jpg

It was the crank bearings. Hopefully yours isnt!

Andy

Edit- mine was noticably noiser though before it went for its rebuild, and I knew something wasnt right. If the bike still sounds ok, I would just keep an eye on it, see what it looks like next time you dump the oil.

How does your gearbox feel? I'm expecting some gearbox trouble on my Superduke sooner ar later.

Its always been a bit notchy. Are they a known weak spot?

Archived