plasic repairs

baileysam

i have had a couple of pms asking about paint and repairs, so i am going to try to do a step by step plastic repair that you can follow useing tools you have around you, this is a 1994 triumph daytona fairing, it has two cracks and a stress crack, you will have to be paitent with me cos i am not that hot on computers.

plasticrepairs007.th.jpg

first of all you must clean the area around the damage with a small sander ,or if you dont have one some 80 grit paper then you get a airless plasic welder or if you dont have one a solering iron it would be better if it was an ajustable heat one.

and just run the hot iron down the plastic on the inside and outside knitting it together as you go leave a small trench for the bonding

plasticrepairs009.th.jpg

clean down weld till it is flat and spray a coat of adheasion promotor on to weld and run some plastic bonding into groove both sides

plastic bonding and adhesion promoter can be baught through motor factors u pol do a good bonding

plasticrepairs001.th.jpg

flat off the bonding as it can be used as a filler as well ,dont use fibre glass or car body filler on it because it is far too hard and will crack ,the bonding is flexable enough to give it srength and not crack , it is now ready for primer

plasticrepairs003.th.jpg

keep the area local, where you want to prime roll edge the tape so you dont get a hard edge when you paint, ie put edge of tape on and roll it back see picture, and if using a water base paint use the blue masking tape it is waterproof the old white paper tape is not.

plasticrepairs006.th.jpg

spray a coat of adhesion promotor plastic primer or surface modefier, its near enough the same just to get the paint to stick to the plastic ,paint on its own is not very good at sicking to plastic, then prime it let it flash off off properly beatween coats .this will help it harden off quicker, then put a light coat of black over the primer, this is used as a guide coat, flat it off with a block [rubber], when the black has been rubbed off you know it is flat and ready for paint ,if it needs to be primed again then prime it again, the topcoat will show any imperfection . its now ready for paint.

plasticrepairs008.th.jpg

I hope this has been helpful, the tools you will need are airless plastic welder,[soldering iron], dont use a hot air plastic welder on bike panels, they heat up a far too large area and warp the panel, the adhesion promotor plasic primer this is not a paint it is a clear thin product. any paint can be used on it, but you must have it or paint will not stick to the job , then you will need the plastic bonding, i use the innotec one, but upol do one it can be baught from motor factors. I find this the best way to do this type of repair, others may do it diffrent but i find this way lasts its best to have a practice on a old panel to boost your confidance.

Archived