GS won't start

Tomfoolery

When I picked the GS up in July the choke didn't work. No problem, it's a fuel injected bike it's probably just a fast idle, I'll open the throttle a tad when starting. Worked fine until Monday.

Bike fairly reluctantly cranking over in the -3 temperature and doesn't go. Flatten the battery trying which didn't take much.

Choke needs fixing but it runs down to the most complicated 'cable actuation system' I've ever seen. Might have to buy a Clymer manual since the Haynes doesn't cover it.

Arse. Battery's charging now so it could be that too...

D'oh!

When I picked the GS up in July the choke didn't work. No problem, it's a fuel injected bike it's probably just a fast idle, I'll open the throttle a tad when starting. Worked fine until Monday.

Bike fairly reluctantly cranking over in the -3 temperature and doesn't go. Flatten the battery trying which didn't take much.

Choke needs fixing but it runs down to the most complicated 'cable actuation system' I've ever seen. Might have to buy a Clymer manual since the Haynes doesn't cover it.

Arse. Battery's charging now so it could be that too...

D'oh!

Isn't there an App for that?

:icon_blackeye:

Isn't there an App for that?

:P

am i missing something? who the fook would want to start a bike in this weather?

A bloke with no car might be interested. Or, especially a bloke with no car and a load of heated clothing. Which reminds me, you wonder why the battery's flat?

I had probs with my 1150 starting. Fully charged new gel battery would shit itself in the middle of nowhere in Scotland or somewhere equally arse-clenching. Would eventually lurch over and catch.

Replaced it with a Hawker Odyssey. Job done.

I've heard good things about them. I'll source one after Christmas. Using heated kit/grips wouldn't make a difference if the system/battery was healthy. BMW fit a gert big alternator when you specify heated grips from the factory.

It's due a service anyway now I'm approaching 12,000 on it. Normally use 20/50 since that's what the manual indicates is best for most of the year round.

It's due a service anyway now I'm approaching 12,000 on it. Normally use 20/50 since that's what the manual indicates is best for most of the year round.

There are other batteries similar to the Odysey, I looked at them when I had teh guzzler, but I have forgotten, do some searching.

As for oil, I'm sure, like other manufacturers, BMW will recommend a range of oils depending upon the operating temp. I know Yamaha, Honda, Guzzi, Triumph, and Guzzi do. Could be worth looking at.

What Tom said about oil.

Last time mine was serviced by the local BMW stealers, they put Castrol Racing 1 in, which from memory is fully synthetic 0W50 or something. Whereas the manual recommends standard 10W40 semi.

I've no idea. TBH. I decided that as long as the oil's at the right place in the sight window, that'll do.

it's the 20w bit that specifies how thick it is when it's cold, then the 50 that deals with what it's like when the engine's warm. If your battery's tip-top and it's still slow to turn over (not reluctant to start, just slow turning over) then I'd swap for some 10w/50. It'll only perform like a different oil for the first few minutes or so anyway, and will probably give better protection from cold too. I think I'd be right in saying oil cooled motors use pretty heavy grade oils anyway, don't they?

Popped the charged battery in it today and it started no problem. Doesn't hold on to tickover, though, so have to hold the throttle open for the first few miles at a standstill. Annoying, and I need to get it sorted otherwise this will happen again. Oh, for a garage.

May sound silly but wrap the engine in a blanket??

Prob no use but the battery's on TDM has to be tip top all the time or it won't spin it that quick enough to start it!

On my TRX I had some real issues with getting it to start on cold mornings, stuck a gel battery in there and it would spin just as powerfully as a warm day; it seems that gel batteries are affected less by the cold then normal lead acid types. With the new battery it'd start within a handful of revs, literally, a second or so of turning over, and it'd be firing up.

It's got a gel battery in there already, according to the writing on the side of it.

Smack it with an axe, just to make sure. Do it in the lounge and see what colour the carpet ends up, it's a simple test.

The battery is completely fucked now - it wouldn't start this morning.

NumberOne also quite rightly pointed out I should be covering it up overnight some time ago. Smart arse.

The battery is completely fucked now - it wouldn't start this morning.

NumberOne also quite rightly pointed out I should be covering it up overnight some time ago. Smart arse.

Pa knows bestest.................. :wtfmore:

Not yet, Tom. Haven't had time. The manual says 20w/50 has th widest temperature range and I'm lazy...

It needs an oil change anyway so I might put something different in.

Archived