Galfer brake discs and pads

MonkeyJim

I've just acquired a set of Galfer wavy discs for the R1, courtesy of ebay. I was after a new set of discs to replace the PFM iron ones that I had problems with on a trackday [at Donington] last year.

I wasn't particularly after any wavy ones as I have always been a bit sceptical about them, but following the recent article in PB I thought I would give 'em a go.

They will be primarily for track use as I will be fitting them to a Dymag wheel, which luckily came back from being refurbished by Dymag just a few months ago, before they went under.

These are they, I am hoping to collect them [seller is local] sometime this week. Not bad for £150 the pair I thought, as they go for £190 each.

Galferdiscs.jpg

anyway, the seller also has some brand new Galfer pads for sale, to fit my model R1. Anyone got any experience of Galfer pads?

any thoughts & advice welcome, ta

gotta love wavey disks !!!!

Get them on !!!!

My supermoto loves its wavey disk & matching pads too !!!

*Important*

Make sure you clean the disk down with some wet and dry 240 grit as it removes any old brake pad that have bakes themselves onto the disk (you will be shocked how much is found)

I had galfer pads with my disk ( i got a kit) I,ve yet to use them on track, but the offer good bite and they dont fade when doing stoppies !!!!! ( i,m a single disk so i,m guessing that the pads would be getting worked hard)

Acid - cheers for the tip

running galfer discs and pads on my gsxr. seem to work very well together.

DSC00909.JPG

Mmmm, they look good - did you notice much of an improvement when you fitted them?

Do you happen to know which pads you have? I think the ones matey has for sale are the G1375 compound - sintered metal supersport road / track pad, but they do an organic jobby and a couple of GP / endurance racing spec ones too

It may interest you to know that galfer recommend installing the discs with 'offset' - I found this when browsing their website.

http://www.galferusa.com/Basic_Rotor_Installation_Tips.pdf

Would have never occured to me to fit them like that, but presumably there's a reason why they do [wheel balance?]

They do seem to work better than the previous EBC setup I had. Am running their sintered pads.

Did see that 'offsetting' bit and decided to ignore it as my OCD likes them symmetrical! Can't say I've had any ill effects?

They do seem to work better than the previous EBC setup I had. Am running their sintered pads.

Did see that 'offsetting' bit and decided to ignore it as my OCD likes them symmetrical! Can't say I've had any ill effects?

I know what you mean, I have OCD also - but only when it comes to bikes, not any other types of cleaning.

Sound good. Have you noticed any high-frequency vibration when applying the brakes, as mentioned in the recent PB article?

I know what you mean, I have OCD also - but only when it comes to bikes, not any other types of cleaning.

Sound good. Have you noticed any high-frequency vibration when applying the brakes, as mentioned in the recent PB article?

Ha. Ditto.

As for vibes, not experienced any ill-effects at all. Just good brakes. It's not a high-mileage-use bike though, it's my sunny day toy so probably haven't done stringent testing - I just think it stops well and looks good.

Archived