Tyre softener

Have I imagined this product...

Have a new old stock BT.... erm 56 on the front of Snotterblade. Which is ancient, it feels rock hard, minimal feedback in the dry, bt dodgy in the wet... and yes the correct solution would be new tyres, but.

Thought I'd try some tyre softener to get the thing to feel a bit better. I recalled an American product for track days to soften the tyre up... it sounds possible this might work.

1) anyone ever used it? Did it make any difference?

2) Can it still be bought, can't seem to find it.

Cheers

Andy

The power of the interweb.... well done Blow Away.

I have been trying different tyre pressures, it makes stuff all difference. Feedback iffy, running temp low - pushing hardish I couldn't get surface temp over 40, normally 30 36 deg C ( I know IR surface temp measurement is hardly accurate, but its a benchmark). Front always feels cool, back is warm.

I will get some and let you know how it feels. It might work... :eusa_whistle:

A

Sennidott! You need this stuff for those rocks on your wheels

Those aren't actually real tyres, they are moulded mdf, cunningly grooved and lovingly painted a tyre like shade of black... :icon_blackeye:

Tyre softner eh? I like MilleMille's response!

Some bottles would be reet useful about now... car needs welded, no poer in garge, no engine in car = stuck.

Been over to Demon Thieves today, bught 1 litre tin. Will apply in the morning and.... then wait a bit. Needs to soak in apparently.

It can't make it worse! Moulded MDF would be an improvement.

Oh and DT did mention buying an applictor for this Grip stuff. £20; bargain. Its a paint brush :icon_pale:

Well, it soaks in easy enough, and erm.... thats it really. Advice after contacting manufacturer is to let it soak in, expect a result after a few days if the tyre is old and gone off.

Will repaint later on.

First ride on it will be tomorrow, bit soon according to importers, but we'll see.

If no post in a few days its due to me dying horribly in a tyre failure related way :tacheemoticonwh7:

Well, it soaks in easy enough, and erm.... thats it really. Advice after contacting manufacturer is to let it soak in, expect a result after a few days if the tyre is old and gone off.

Will repaint later on.

First ride on it will be tomorrow, bit soon according to importers, but we'll see.

If no post in a few days its due to me dying horribly in a tyre failure related way :eusa_think:

This could well end in tears young man!

Should be a funny story though, and I have a spare tyre softeny stuff applicator in the garage you can have.

I remember tyre softner (and various potions and lotions) from go-karting, but wouldn't (personally) be putting it anywhere near my bike tyres (old or otherwise).

I'll wait and see what your results are like... (more fluids nurse?)

G

Have I imagined this product...

Have a new old stock BT.... erm 56 on the front of Snotterblade. Which is ancient, it feels rock hard, minimal feedback in the dry, bt dodgy in the wet... and yes the correct solution would be new tyres, but.

Thought I'd try some tyre softener to get the thing to feel a bit better. I recalled an American product for track days to soften the tyre up... it sounds possible this might work.

1) anyone ever used it? Did it make any difference?

2) Can it still be bought, can't seem to find it.

Cheers

Andy

Have just spoken to one of the tyre designers at Avon for you about this. He reckons there may be a short term gain in softness, depending on the product. It'll soften it for a while until the product works its way out again. Takes a couple of days to get into the compound and then it'll take a couple of days to come out again when ridden.

It's sometimes used for sprinting, hillclimbs etc. Most evidence for it is anecdotal though. He thinks it'll soften the tyre slightly for a couple of days but will offer no more grip than you have already. They've tested it in Hillclimbs against their standard tyres, and the standard tyres were faster.

HTH

BW

Archived