Best way to sort a dirty/rusty tank?...

rich7/12

Hi all,

I've got a tank to fix for the cheapo trackday Bros - it's a bit rusty inside and I think the tap needs at least a good clean or maybe swapping out.

What's the easiest/cheapest/most effective fix? I've heard of chucking in nuts/bolts etc plus some fluid of some sort (parrafin??) and giving it a good shake - is there anything else?!

Thanks,

Rich

dont use nuts and bolts,use fish tank gravel and some sharp sand,works spot on,just give the tank a good clean after,it like a light sand blast :eusa_pray: use a good amount.

Believe it or not.............vinegar. It's a mild acid that will get rid of the rust yet not harm your paintwork. I've gotta do it on the TRX. The original is great on the outside but starting to rust internally.

I've gotta good spare from the wreckers for $300AUD that is great internally but a bit scrappy on the outside and I'm gonna swap them over while I get the original fixed. Got some o-rings and new bolts for the existing tap plus bought a whole new tap for when the original goes back on. Plus bought myself a real snazzy Oberon anodised race fuel cap.

Bob

You can get a complete POR15 kit that is the shiznitz. Comes with three stages of treatment but your tank should be hunkydory after.

My bro got one of them from frosts and it made his cb100 tank like new. in fact, it's probably the only thing holding it together these days!

Archived