zx6r wont start

mpotnoodle

hi guys been working on my old zx6r it hadnt been going for months so i cleaned the carbs and she went no bother,left it for a week and she started again no bother,i drained the carbs again out of the bottom of the bowls rigged up some petrol and now it won`t fire at all,checked for sparks and they are all firing,they are old plugs so i hunted out some other plugs still no joy,won`t even fire with a squirt of easystart,i`ve never touched anything else ,anybody have any ideas ,new plugs or something?

thanks mike

put new spark plugs in today still won`t start,checked valve clearances only a couple are slightly out,i`m getting a good spark ,i`m thinking a fuel issue now as it doesn`t seem to be sucking in any fuel,was going to check compression but it was starting so surely it wouldn`t lose it in all the cylinders at once,i`m charging up the battery but it seems to spin the motor over quickly,any ideas would be appreciated

thanks mike

first up try squirting some igniteable stuff either down a plug hole or the butterfly valves(with throttle open)see if that gives any life to it(usually just a quick burst)-if that fails-its probably gonna be an electrical thing-u can check the fuel pump by connecting leads directly to battery-see if it ticks-if it did show life from squirting ten you have a fuel problem.my brain is getting frazzled so i'll stop now

youre sure you have the petrol connected to the pump and not to a carb breather?

its all connected up right just won`t fire with new plugs and easystart fired in wth carbs removed, checked valve clearances were okay except two which were 0.014 instead of 0.15 minimum on inlet side,haven`t touched any thing went one day the next day nothing,new petrol too dont have a compression tester but seeing as it went before surely not all cylinders could lose that much compression not to start i`m a bit stumped now

That valve clearance wont affect the running of it-you have checked th silly stuff like kill switch and plug leads in correct order i assume?Chances are its got to be something you distrbed when doing the carbs!As you say -it wouldnt ave just lost compression just like that and if you've manually fuelled it and it is sparking then the only reason it wouldnt run is the timing of the spark-it IS a nice fat blue spark isn't it?Very hard to diagnose from here and all i can suggest is a double check of items removed-is it completely dead as in not even a trying to start-just turning over?What model/year zx6 is it?

Couple of things: The fuel pump relay only allows pumpage when the engine turns over, so to fill the carbs up you need to turn it over shit loads or by-pass the fuel pump (assuming it's th esame as a zx7r, which I think it is). Second thing is that electrical stuff needs to be connected where you might not expect it. All th ehandlebar things need connecting, clutch lever cut-out bit has caught me out in th epast.

Couple of things: The fuel pump relay only allows pumpage when the engine turns over, so to fill the carbs up you need to turn it over shit loads or by-pass the fuel pump (assuming it's th esame as a zx7r, which I think it is). Second thing is that electrical stuff needs to be connected where you might not expect it. All th ehandlebar things need connecting, clutch lever cut-out bit has caught me out in th epast.

i`m going to try some new leads later in the week as they are aftermarket jobbies with caps screwed in and i`ve never really had faith in them even though the plugs spark maybe not enough power is getting through them,worth a try i think

Archived