Garage Flooring

TKDMitch

I've got a typical, slightly uneven, somewhat powdery, concrete garage floor.

Now I've put a draught strip at the base of the door leaves don't blow in, so I'm thinking about doing something with the floor to make it less dusty and generally tidier.

Bearing in mind I need to be able to work on my punch bag and do weights in there as well, it needs to be something hard wearing, and as I've got the bike in there it also needs to be reistant to WD40, assorted bike fluids, manfat and paddock stands.

Being lazy I was thinking that garage floor paint might be an easier option than tiles or similar?

Being skint I'm aiming for something reasonably cheap.

Any suggestions from anyone who's done this? Any particular products?

Cheers all,

Mitch

My garage was new build, so very dusty.

First, I sealed the floor with garage floor sealer, then painted it grey with garage floor paint, both from Wickes. Very good it was too, the paint is beginning to spall at the front of the garage where I do my dirty work after 2 years, so a little repaint is now required.

2/3rds of my garage is then covered with carpet tiles 'liberated' from my old office when it was shut down. I keep a couple of boxes worth as spares. Really hard wearing, and keep my feet warm. I even take my shoes off when in the garage now, to keep it all clean. And I have a little hoover in there too...

Lino P1011576.jpg

Great to walk on easy for cleaning up spillage's and easy on the knees too :o

I used the stuff I took out of the kitchen when I laid a wooden floor.

Funny just mentioned this in hawatis thread.

Mitch, this is what you need. From ebay, had it down nearly a year. Doesn't look like it will last but it has. I wash it down when needed, also my garage is a gym on the other half so its very good for that. Sweat does stain it though but does wash off.

Also was cheap.

01005.jpg

I was in Focus DIY t'other day and they were doing dark floor tiles for less than £7/sq.m. I'm quite tempted to cough up and get it done properly. I doubt they are the best tiles but then again it's only garage and not the end of the World if they chip.

I was going to use tiles, but unless they are the special workshop ones they would smash if you chucked a hammer across the garage, I chuck a lot of hammers.

Tiles with under floor heating, oh yes that's the way to go.

I might move into the garage. I have a piss can already.

How muchg damp can rise up through a concrete floor then? My garage is drafty, water tight roof and walls, but still damp. The garage door is condensated when it is cold, and my liquorice Rizlas stiuck together if left in there overnight.

The garage was built mid 60's and is on the side of the house, but the concrete floor has no finish on it at all. Can the damp be sealed out?

Ok - brush the dust out, chip the slab where it's loose and use a levelling screed on the areas that need it.

Then seal it with a paint - this will keep the damp out

Now lay some Floatex, this isn't a carpet ... it's acutally a tufted vinyl I/we specify it for hard wearing offices, available in sheet or tiles http://www.flotex.co.uk/pages/home/

If you want a very very cheap option though ... nothing beats a big cardboard box. Try Halfords any bicycle shop or somewhere where they have big packing boxes - you want the thick stuff - they're free which is nice.

Mitch, this is what you need. From ebay, had it down nearly a year. Doesn't look like it will last but it has. I wash it down when needed, also my garage is a gym on the other half so its very good for that. Sweat does stain it though but does wash off.

Also was cheap.

What's it called Monty_zac, or do you have a link please?

This stuff.

Self levelling compound. Heavy duty use. Mix it, pour it, spread it about and leave it to set.

Goes fookin rock hard, and is level.

weber.niv-dur.jpg

What sort of finish does it have tootall?

Lots of good suggestions, many thanks folks :thumbsup: , if anyone has any others please chip in :)

Mitch

Also was cheap.

01005.jpg

Are these they?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/32-SQ-FT-INTERLOCKIN...=item3ef9713881

I've got a typical, slightly uneven, somewhat powdery, concrete garage floor.

*snip*

Any suggestions from anyone who's done this? Any particular products?

Cheers all,

Mitch

Same as mine.

I used tile primer to seal it, gave it a couple of coats as it was very porous. Followed by self-levelling screed. Then a couple of coats of Johnstone's Floortred Garage Floor Paint. It could do with a repaint now but it's been ok for around 6 years.

You can get 2-pack resin based floor coatings. They used to be expensive but not so much now.

If I was building a new-build garage then power floated concrete and resin would be my choice... we can but dream :eusa_dance: .

What I did find though was that after a ride, the heat/oils in the tyres would lift the paint off the floor, and I'd have little blue patches on my tyres (floor paint is 'safety blue'). Scrubs off after a few miles though, and parking the bikes on cardboard stops it.

I've got the same stuff as monty_zac, it is good for kneeling on and wipes down easy. It does compress easily though so you can end up with indentations from bike tyres, paddock stands etc.

I do like a carpet to work on, got my most recent one from the off cut corner in the local carpet place, 4.5x2.7m which is big cost 15 quid after negotiations.

Its supprising how long it takes for them to get too manky, as for oil soaking it you just learn where the patches are.

I've got vinyl flooring that looks like laminate (fake, fake flooring!) put down by previous owner. I've since placed a few old rugs and carpet offcuts from the house in there too, soaks up any muck from the bike, easy on the knees too.

I've got Grey painted floor and then a piece of closed cell foam

to kneel on when I'm working on the bike (about 10 euros from Louis.de part nr. 10003012)

so should be available in UK. It rolls up out of the way.

I also use a refillable de-humidifier to keep the damp from attacking tools and so on

Keith

Archived