restoring a chain

riversbikes

Hey all, I bought a 29000 km RC51 that has been sitting for awhile. Chain looks salvageable, but I've heard bad things happen when you soak an OEM O-ring chain in certain solutions... would like to try to get it in decent shape again... is Varsol a no-no? Not a fan of leaving gas/petrol lying open in the garage as well... any other suggestions?

Yup - paraffin.

I salvaged / cleaned mine with paraffin and a small paint brush ... and wire brushed the plates, then used white sprit to get the last of the muck off it.

After than thorough chain lubing ... I use the silicon type

Yup - paraffin.

I salvaged / cleaned mine with paraffin and a small paint brush ... and wire brushed the plates, then used white sprit to get the last of the muck off it.

After than thorough chain lubing ... I use the silicon type

all the chains I've soaked in paraffin has drastically reduced their life, coz it has washed the grease out

I've stopped doing it now.

If I need to clean a chain, I submerge it in plain motor oil for a couple of weeks

This does eventually lift off the dirt and crap

use an old paint brush to help lift off the dirt

I has even extended the life of some O-rings chains, that were needing an adjustment after every ride - after soaking in oil, they stopped needing adjustment (for a while)!

a wire brush is the last thing you want to let anywhere near an O-ring chain - it'll damage the O-rings which lets the grease get washed out and then the chain is finished!

Archived