project RGV1000

Fenfast

Here are the first details of my project, breifly mentioned in PB a couple of months back. The planning started when the 'Don't buy it - Build it' approach fueled my imagination. All I knew is I wanted a faster more powerfull Rgv, I wanted to push myself to the limit. I thought a '500' Rgv would be fantastic, but I'd have to make the crankcases - scaled up Suzuki items that would except 250 motocross cranks and top ends.

There is so much work involved in that, and I didn't know if the extra power would be worth all that effort, so I took it all the way using CR 500 engine parts to create a 1000.

The light weight Rgv frame would simply be phisicly too small for the much larger engine and the fierce vibrations could make it fail anyway, so a larger one was needed. An SP1 would have been great, but I'd need a complete bike and my budget couln't streach to that, An early Aprilia Rsv Mille was purchased and the designing could start.

Its a long process full of back peddling and it still isn't finalized in all its detail, but there was enough that I was sure about to make a start.

First Challange, getting 2+ tonnes of milling machine down a gravel drive when it realy wants to go to center of the earth!phone_pictures010-1.jpg

Part of the planning process was a wooden mock up mimicking where the barrels would fit - phone_pictures033-1.jpg

A CR500 barrel and head in approximate position -

phone_pictures032-1.jpg

The right side of the right engine case being made, showing the top rear engine mount position and two pockets where the gears on the end of the crank will sit. My first design was a single crank just like the Rgv, but the neccesary 100 mm off set would make the engine too wide, twin cranks make the engine 75mm narrower - even then it will only just fit when done. The rough outer profile is a result of 'chain drilling' the shape

DSC00189-1.jpg

the right case slowly taking form - a veiw from under the front right side.

DSC00194-2-1.jpg

I'll add further details when there is progress, this is a long term project, so it wont be on the road for a while yet, Hopefully some time in the new year I'll be able to post an update.

awesome! :icon_salut:

mate, if you are milling the cases on an old manual mill, then hats off. tell me it has a DRO!

out of interest what are you going to do about primary drives to join pot1 and pot2 (gear them together and run one backwards? since i guess the pots will be different ways around?)

and what are you doing for a gearbox? I guess the overall ratios of the cr500 box will be a bit short

Jesus titty fucking christ,thats one hell of a project.Ive got a cr500 crosser and thats an animal,so the thought of two of the buggers in the same bike scares me!!

1000cc stroker you say? With twin cranks? And home-brewed billet cases? Massive respect to that man. Makes my own attempts at a two stroke special pale in comparison. All I can say is I'll be waiting for the new year update with baited breath!

1000cc stroker you say? With twin cranks? And home-brewed billet cases? Massive respect to that man. Makes my own attempts at a two stroke special pale in comparison. All I can say is I'll be waiting for the new year update with baited breath!

That's a proper project! Hats off!

Holy shit dude... I'm saluting so much I'm getting RSI in my elbow. Can't wait for more on this. Are you putting a cutout in the tank for your undoubtedly enormous cojones?

This is a proper project.

Have you done the FEA on the crankcase design? If you used solidworks or something similar you should be able to model the approximate working conditions to see any possible failure modes.

Good luck though, this looks like a labour of love. I can't wait to hear it running.

:icon_blackeye: Cheers

Nice Work sir :eusa_whistle:

I've been dreaming of build something similar for years. Will be watching this build with intrest. :eusa_whistle:

awesome! :tumbleweed:

mate, if you are milling the cases on an old manual mill, then hats off. tell me it has a DRO!

out of interest what are you going to do about primary drives to join pot1 and pot2 (gear them together and run one backwards? since i guess the pots will be different ways around?)

and what are you doing for a gearbox? I guess the overall ratios of the cr500 box will be a bit short

Thanks for your approval - everyone! The mill is donkey's years old but luckily the previous owner had fitted DRO's ('digital read outs' for those not familiar with work shop terms)

The 2 cranks both drive a short 'jack shaft' which also has the original mille primary drive on - driving through the clutch/gearbox as standard.

The engine will make power at lower revs than the mille so the cranks have larger gears on to keep the gearbox working at what I hope will be about the same speed!

Archived