Generator Mod

flashgordon69

Have just got a spare generator and rotor from ebay for almost naff all and am going to put it on the lathe and lighten it

Im going down the shed in a minute to weigh it

Has any one else done this?

How much meat did you take off it?

How did it all go?

Its from a 98/03 R1 i think theyre all the same

I've done it to a 350LC, it's a pretty common modification on LC's and 'valves. Allows the engine to spin up a bit quicker and also puts less stress on the crank. I took about 4mm from the total diameter I think. Don't take this as a given value though cos I imagine an R1 rotor is a fair bit slimmer than an LC one! Also its a good idea to keep an eye on it for cracks periodically after you've fitted it. Hope this helps, Ben.

Lightening items like this should be done carfully so not to weaken them. also another consideration is that both generator end and clutch side should be lightened as not to alter the harmonics of the crank and cause fractures or fretting on tapers etc. but all said does make alot of difference especially to older vehicles where they are over engineered.

I did this with a 350 YPVS one, once!

It broke into two pieces (an outer ring, and the centre peice which was still attached tot he crank) and took the stator with it

Be very careful on how much and where you take it from

Archived