Getting wheels x-rayed

rossm

Any one got any recommendations? As looking to get a set of used Dymags and wouldn't mind getting them done (just for piece of mind) possibility getting them powder coated at the same time.

Any one got any recommendations? As looking to get a set of used Dymags and wouldn't mind getting them done (just for piece of mind) possibility getting them powder coated at the same time.

if you cach dymag befor they go pop,they do a crack test,blast and paint im sure for £250'ish.as mag wheels have to be blasted carefully for some reason.. :icon_blackeye: and wot do you ride ,iv a set,in good condition(met grey)of gsxr1000,k4..dymags,17in

You don't X-ray wheels to look for cracks.

Dymag do dye penetrant testing where you paint on a UV sensitive paint, wash the wheel and then veiw it under UV light and any cracks that have reatined the UV dye will show up.

Personally I prefered my magnesium wheels to be ultrasonically or magentic particle imaging tested - far more accurate and reliable.

All of the paint and chromate needs to be removed first.

Try in your local yellow pages under 'Non Destructive Testing'

Ross

you could try a company called Quest Tru-test aka Material Meaurements - I think they can supply all your non-destructive testing needs, especially as Dymag have apparently gone into administration earlier this week?

http://www.aviation-database.com/Aeropsace...ive_Testing.htm

I know this company from my time at Luton Airport but I think they have other outlets around the south east. They do x-rays & dye penetrant testing, amongst other methods

the parent company is Caparo Testing http://www.caparotesting.com/

Hope that helps...

.... if it doesn't, then maybe Monkey Destructive Testing can help. They're a new company based in St Albans, Hertfordshire.

They offer a complete destructive testing service. Through a combination of cack-handed wheelies, personal crash testing, a microwave oven [800W no less!] and a jug of Bisto gravy they can quickly establish if your wheels are cracked

:icon_blackeye:

.... maybe Monkey Destructive Testing can help.

<snip> a jug of Bisto gravy they can quickly establish if your wheels are cracked

Sounds like a complete turkey to me...

basting.jpg

<Bah-boom> <Tssch>

No? I'll get me coat.

Sent a wheel to Dymag to be refurbished roughly three weeks ago and they confirmed they would be ceasing trading as of Friday just gone. Shame, another reputable company gone.

Sent a wheel to Dymag to be refurbished roughly three weeks ago and they confirmed they would be ceasing trading as of Friday just gone. Shame, another reputable company gone.

Well next time just drop me a line and I will sort them for you( well the NDT bit anyways) as for what inspection they require I would recomend eddy current or penetrant inspection, depending on what they are made of.

Archived