shit slow zx7r?

speedy sie

just got zx7r,14k on clocks in good condition,runs up ok ,but only pulls 140/50.did they do a restricted modle?cheked over ,fillter ok,plugs,oil leavel,brakes,carbs....so fuck knows? :rolleyes:

not sure they did it on zx7rs but on other kwaks they limited them by using different carbs tops that stopped the carb slides from lifting all the way up. might be worth a check

I'm not sure that they made a restricted version mine pulled more than that. Check the final drive chain and sprockets as lowering the gearing is quite common and lowers the top end but increases the accelaration.

I'm not sure that they made a restricted version mine pulled more than that. Check the final drive chain and sprockets as lowering the gearing is quite common and lowers the top end but increases the accelaration.

no its bog standerd,pull ok but lacks top end,only thig suspeck its on 190/55 rear.

Is it running rough? does it revout in all gears? you could have an air leak or posible carb diaphragm problems. the rear tyre should make no difference though.

Is it running rough? does it revout in all gears? you could have an air leak or posible carb diaphragm problems. the rear tyre should make no difference though.

no popping on down shift,ticks over ok,no smoke,pull ok but dies off in 5th and top.

The headlights are expensive and difficult to convert, so that shold help if it's a euro import. Check the float bowl vent line, even a small kink in this will dramatically affect the top end performance. I'd be inclined to check all the ram air and carb settings -at that speed you are well into ram air territory, and it soulds as though the carbs are not working too well...

Just thought, my 9 did this in the summer...no top end. One of the diaphrams in the wanky CV carbs was not sealing...once that was sorted it was pulling wheelies and the top end was restored. Worth a look.

no its bog standerd,pull ok but lacks top end,only thig suspeck its on 190/55 rear.

A 190/50 rear is standard on the 7R so having a 55 profile on there shouldn't affect anything.

Head Gasket, Base Gasket and cams - not a cheap fix.

Do that yourself and its very cheap. Head and base gaskets for around £50, then a pair of second hand cams from a popular auction site and can be done for less than £100 and 4 hours work.

:eusa_whistle:

If it isn't a UK home model bike it is probably restriced in some form - the ZX7 was produced in about a dozen different power output versions depending on which country is was destined for. Outputs ranged from 122bhp for the UK down 53bhp for Switzerland.

Traded it in for a brand new 748 - did I tell the dealer it was a French bike?

53bhp???? Does anybody actually buy bikes restricted (neutered) to that extent in Switzerland? Think I'd rather be buying a 250/400 that was at least light enough and close enough to the power restriction.

So go on did you tell the dealer? :eusa_whistle:

Do that yourself and its very cheap. Head and base gaskets for around £50, then a pair of second hand cams from a popular auction site and can be done for less than £100 and 4 hours work.

:thumbsup:

Not sure on the 7, but 9 head gaskets are closer to £90.

just got zx7r,14k on clocks in good condition,runs up ok ,but only pulls 140/50.did they do a restricted modle?cheked over ,fillter ok,plugs,oil leavel,brakes,carbs....so fuck knows? :thumbsup:

I've heard from a couple of people in the know that Kawasaki's are prone to valve clearances going out so maybe worth a check & adjust as necessary, then balance the carbs ;)

well,balced carbs last night,and cheked diaframs on carbs,and jets.ticks over near perfect.now iv run bike for a few days,it is heavey on petrol,but did pull 160 to work this morning at 430am.so a bit better.the bike has never been raped,so could it be top end is carboned up,and is it worth a de coke. :thumbsup:

another question,will zx9 forks fit in zx7

well,balced carbs last night,and cheked diaframs on carbs,and jets.ticks over near perfect.now iv run bike for a few days,it is heavey on petrol,but did pull 160 to work this morning at 430am.so a bit better.the bike has never been raped,so could it be top end is carboned up,and is it worth a de coke. :lol:

another question,will zx9 forks fit in zx7

Why? The 7 has an excellent front end, the 9 does not. The B model USD are longer, but that only good if you shitefighter the bike. The other 9s are all RWU and look pants. Most 9 owners would put the 7 forks on.

Why? The 7 has an excellent front end, the 9 does not. The B model USD are longer, but that only good if you shitefighter the bike. The other 9s are all RWU and look pants. Most 9 owners would put the 7 forks on.

thank for that,ill have to turn down the ones iv been offered,and iv just looked and this bike is only 30 bikes older than my vts preped bike so must be uk bike.

Think your prices and your estimation of time is a tad optimistic but yes, in principle, it isn't the end of the world to de-restrict a French model ZX7.

No, not really. I've built several ZX9 and 750 motors now. Including a big bore ZX9 (950cc wiseco pistoned), a couple of big bore ZXR750 engines (which are almost identical), one of which is in the M in my profile pic. I have a 770cc big bore ZXR engine I'm just finishing now, and a stock ZX9 B engine thats up for sale.

I can have the engine out and head off in under an hour. Ive done it so many time now on several bike over the years it all very processional now! :)

I think I've still got a couple of spare head gaskets in my garage. I remember having to buy one for the 950 motor I built a few years ago, cost just over £50 I think, made by Cometic. You also get old 'new' stock turn up on ebay every now and again and I even managed to pickup a ZXR750 gasket for £9.99. :)

In fact on the 7 you could probably just get away with removing the top two engine mounts, and the top rear mount and tip the engine forward to gain access to the cams. The only reason you cant do it with the engine in place is that they sit right next to the frame spar so getting the timing right would be a pain, not impossible, but tricky! Much easier with the engine out.

B)

To be honest though, reading the original problem, it sounds more like a fueling issue than a restriction. Not pulling at high rpm in a high gear would mean lack of fuel. Could be a blocked fuel filter, or maybe the pump is not upto the job. If it pulls fine through the first few gears and revs out ok in 2nd, 3rd etc.. then I would suspect fueling. :)

To be honest though, reading the original problem, it sounds more like a fueling issue than a restriction. Not pulling at high rpm in a high gear would mean lack of fuel. Could be a blocked fuel filter, or maybe the pump is not upto the job. If it pulls fine through the first few gears and revs out ok in 2nd, 3rd etc.. then I would suspect fueling. ;)

been all over fuel from tank to jets all seams ok,just come back from a blast,now pulling 165 so top end is creeping into fun zone,so all seem ok,as iv said this bike has never been over 70,so i gues my run through fuel system may have cleared problem to some degrea,ill de carbon yhe head with some petrol addative, B)

:pbtwerplr3: and who the fuck sticks a 190/55 on the back of a zx7?? fitting set of intermediates for the winter stint :)....of course.. :eusa_dance: bring on them damp days... :)

Don't forget the simple stuff!

I had a ZZR600 that was much the same, and I had to take all the fairings off cause the previous owner had buggered up all the ram air ducting.

She was grand till it hit about 7-8k when she started getting hesitant and by 9k she was doing nothing and would die away.

New jubilee clips on all joins and a good clean and lube of the pipes to ensure good sealing all around, especially around the air box, and a new air filter saw her right.

These bikes are particularly sensitive to it because if you aren't getting the full air charge into the airbox, but you are getting the full effect down the balance pipes to the carbs, they will run shit at higher speeds/revs.

With any Ram air kwack, always check for good seals and fitment of the ram air ducting and airbox first.

A

shes pulling well now,for the boffins ,190/55 fear flat out in 6th,just in the res on standerd spokets,how ffast,as speedo says 160..?and yes it was frosty this morrnig,no problem for speedy sie... :thumbsup:

I would just like to point out the accuracy of this thread title and say that I agree wholeheartedly; ZX7Rs are shit and slow.

HTH

you make me lafugh.. :thumbsup:

Archived