Fireblade drinking fuel

Zakalwe

OK, 04 Fireblade. 10.5k miles. Latly it's been drinking fuel.....I'm talking about 85~ miles from a brimming tank to red light (had it as low as 81 miles to RLOD). Road riding, though I am heavy on the throttle

Its got standard air filters in, PC USB, throttle pump thingy loaded, (I have re-loaded the map in case it got corrupted), no difference. Stock motor.

Any ideas? Doesn't overly smell of petrol. No leaks anywhere.

Am I best swapping the air filters out (they are the OEM ones that have been fitted from new) and getting it on a dyno?

Are we talking in town, through traffic and all that? Or out on the open road?

Light comes on about 85 on my RR6. Once had 79...

By the way, if it's the red light that's coming on then you're in deeper shit than you think... :eusa_whistle:

First things first, turn the accelerator pump off on the PC3. The wrong settings here can seriously damage your wallet. :)

Once you're happy the fuel economy is back, try enabling it with some more 'moderate' settings. Say 5% fuel at 90% throttle every 30 revs.

I've got a custom map on mine. Well worth it. Smooth as a baby's arse. Shows up whether your chain needs cleaning too as I thought the map was a bit rough til I cleaned and lubed the chain and was blown away by the difference. Do it.

I think that I'll stick some new air filters in (Hmm...stock or BMC/K+N????) and get it on the dyno to get a custom map sorted.

I'd give K+N a miss tbh, BMC are better quality and they supply either a 'road' or 'race' filter to suit your useage. Also, may work better with your can if you're getting a dyno set-up.

My 600RR8 drinks fuel like nobody's business, it's standard apart from an Arrow end can and link pipe... may be investing in a PC in the future if it'l make it run better...

Archived