Computer question

V4 Heaven

Hi,

I'm just about to give Talk Talk a rollocking for providing piss poor broadband speeds (1.75mb) as opposed to the 8 Mb that they offer.

I'm aware that the internet providers advertise a much higher dowload speed than actually available but 1.75 is pants.

My broadband speed was checked via http://www.broadband-expert.co.uk/broadban...dtest/index.php

My question is: My computer isn't the latest whizz bang version so could this be affecting my download speeds? It has an AMD Athlon XP chip, 5.24mb RAM, is ADSL via a hard wired router to my PC and my house is located approx 1 mile from the exchange. That's about the limit of my PC technical knowledge!

Is the download speed as to be expected or should I be getting more?

Cheers.

Hi,

I'm just about to give Talk Talk a rollocking for providing piss poor broadband speeds (1.75mb) as opposed to the 8 Mb that they offer.

I'm aware that the internet providers advertise a much higher dowload speed than actually available but 1.75 is pants.

My broadband speed was checked via http://www.broadband-expert.co.uk/broadban...dtest/index.php

My question is: My computer isn't the latest whizz bang version so could this be affecting my download speeds? It has an AMD Athlon XP chip, 5.24mb RAM, is ADSL via a hard wired router to my PC and my house is located approx 1 mile from the exchange. That's about the limit of my PC technical knowledge!

Is the download speed as to be expected or should I be getting more?

Cheers.

Nope, unfortunately your Broadband speed is limited by many things and the connection between you and the exchange you are connected to is the most common problem. This is owned and maintained by BT. Its a copper wire and is subject to corrosion, bad connections etc and the further away you are the worse it gets.

However are you running an extension to your PC from the masdter socket? Is your router connected directly to the master socket in your house? Is it a good cable? Is the router a new one?

Talk talk can support 8mb but the BT bit of copper you have cannot.

The only way to get top BB speed is either Cable i.e Virgin or be very near an exchange with a new line installed between you both or live in an area where its been upgraded recently.

It doesnt matter how good your P.C is to some degree.

HTH

Yep, I do have a connection cable from the master socket to my PC - it's about 5 metres long. Tried plugging the router straight in to the master socket and there was a marginal gain but not much.

I have a virus and anti spyware software so I'll try it after removing these.

Thanks for the info. I may just ring up Talk Talk to see what they can do for me - I'm sure they offered me a free wireless router a while back but I turned it down because I was going to leave. I suspect though that the boradband companies are as bad as each other, ie tempting offers to drag you in then this not becoming reality when you use them. A bit like like energy companies! God I'm getting cynical in my old age!

Cheers.

Archived