Rev counter Mot Help!!

jollygiant

As title.. The rev counter on my TDM has given up the ghost will it fail the mot on this??

errr.... don't think so. speedo is a requirement for MOT, rev counter is not AFAIK

errr.... don't think so. speedo is a requirement for MOT, rev counter is not AFAIK

Thanks

I did think that you didn't need one for mot but wondered if you had it would it have to work??

Thanks

I did think that you didn't need one for mot but wondered if you had it would it have to work??

Nah, the tacho on my ex's CBR400 hasnt worked since she got it, Never mantioned on the MOT at all. Passes every year at a certain place in Wymondham.

The rev counter is not a requirement for the MOT, to be fair as far as I know neither is the speedo... These form part of the construction and use regulations.ie having a method of measuring road speed over 10mph and accurate to within a specified tollerance. If you take a daylight MOT as a guide line, there isn't much you need on the bike for it to pass. I changed my speedo between MOTs on my ZX-8R and not a word was mentioned despite the different mileages. I could go on, but really I would bore the wotsit out of you, so there you have it!

L,P&B

Colon

The rev counter is not a requirement for the MOT, to be fair as far as I know neither is the speedo... These form part of the construction and use regulations.ie having a method of measuring road speed over 10mph and accurate to within a specified tollerance. If you take a daylight MOT as a guide line, there isn't much you need on the bike for it to pass. I changed my speedo between MOTs on my ZX-8R and not a word was mentioned despite the different mileages. I could go on, but really I would bore the wotsit out of you, so there you have it!

L,P&B

Colon

I don't think the mileage that's showing on the speedo has any bearing on an MOT. You just need a working speedo - of some sort, as you rightly mention, Mr Gymnast. I don't think the speedo even necessarily has to be the OE one.

AFAIK the mileage that's showing on the speedo isn't relevant to passing the MOT, other than the figure showing at the time of the test is noted on the certificate - presumably to deter 'clocking'.

I've got a spare set of clocks on the R1 - they've got a few marks on them - which replaced the original clocks some years ago when the trackday bodywork went on. My MOT tester never said anything about the mileage being lower than the previous year!

You should be fine, mine sailed through without any of the clocks working, and got a full MOT.

Depends where you take it though i spose, this was not at a main dealer, but at the local garage with a bit more of an old fashioned aproach to things ( they still have a man that comes out and puts your petrol in for you )

You should be fine, mine sailed through without any of the clocks working, and got a full MOT.

Depends where you take it though i spose, this was not at a main dealer, but at the local garage with a bit more of an old fashioned aproach to things ( they still have a man that comes out and puts your petrol in for you )

Nah, it'll be tested to the same regs. If you fail on something like that, report them.

It passed :)

Even thou a indicator packed up on the way there!! Dash light was not flashing quick but they are after market led's.. So going to biin em and get some nice small standard TDM 900 one!

This last year I covered a massive 740 mile!!! But I didn't ride for 10 1/2 months due to fucked back.

How would they even know a speedo worked or didnt anyway? Don't take it for a ride out do they.

Those roller things are just for testing the brake resistance.

Archived