RG500/R6 project

Gary

Well I thought I would post up some pictures of my project. I have spent over a year rebuilding and tuning the RG500 engine, it now runs a stage 3 tune, a 570cc big bore kit, bored and bell mouther 32mm carbs, a wolf programable CDI, Nova gearbox and countless other modifications to give a few extra ponies. I recently purchased a 2008 Yamaha R6 that had been rear-ended and have started to fit the RG engine into the R6 frame. Everything is cut and made by hand.. So here are a few pictures of the engine with the mounting plates and then the engine in the R6 frame. I have a set of Swarbrick GP style exhausts coming from the UK (I am in the USA) which I will modify to fit the R6 frame. I hope to get some used tyres to put on the rims to give me a rolling chassis. I don't want to fit new tyres as they might dry rot in the next 2 to 3 years before the bike is finished and actually running!!

Engine side ways on with mounting plates

IMG_3113Large.jpg

Engine diagonally on with mounting plates

IMG_3114Large.jpg

Engine from behind

IMG_3115Large.jpg

First attempt to put engine in R6 frame

IMG_3128Large.jpg

From behind, the rear exhausts look tight but okay

IMG_3131Large.jpg

My father in law helped tremendously with the work. The engine actually bolted in to the frame! Still need to manufacture a front engine mount, but have time to do that.

IMG_3132Large.jpg

Kosman engineering are making me a 15mm offset front sprocket which should allow the chain to run cleanly from the R6 rear wheel to the engine!! 3 weeks to make the sprocket so I will be counting the days!! Still need to make a rear subframe and start the wiring.

I will post more when I get the wheels in and when the exhausts arrive.. A long way to go, but great to have started..

Gary

Excellent.

Are you going to wait until you get the exhausts before you start playing with the subframe?

Will be watching this one.

Hi Toot, yes I am waiting for the exhausts until I start the sub frame. I am hoping I can modify the standard R6 subframe, but I somehow doubt I will be that lucky!! I will post pics as it comes along.. It's a long project..

Hi Sam,

No the engine has not been on the dyno yet!! I finished building it a few months ago, but with no exhausts and no chassis to put it in, I have not had the chance to even start it. It has been built to a very similar spec to my other RG570 engine which made 126hp@11,200RPM, I have had the carbs bell mouthed on this one and a few other minor differences to try and get an extra couple of ponnies out of it.. but will not know how it works for at least another year or two. I like to set it up on a dyno with all the body panels in place so that it is running as it would on the road, I am always concerned that setting it up without the fairing panels will cause a lean condition when the panels are added at a later date!! Unfortunately Patience is not my greates asset, so it will definately be ridden before I finish everything, but won't go on the dyno until I have completed the bike.

Gary

I like the look of the engine, very even satin finish - what is it?

It was a high temperature mat black 2 part epoxy paint, done by a local company, they will also be doing my exhausts in the same thing.. Sorry I don't know more about it. They did the same coating on my other RG engine 4 years ago and it has held up very well.

The engine looks like it was made for that chassis,looks great!!

Okay guys,

well I got a little bit more done on the bike!! It now has wheels, a gear change and a clutch cable.. Now that the wheels have been fitted I can see there is a lot of room under the engine for the exhausts.. Obviously the RG engine is not as tall as the R6 engine.. Anyways take a look and let me know what you think.

Gary

IMG_3164Large.jpg

IMG_3165Large.jpg

Using the original R6 gear linkage, just shortening it a bit.. The offset front sprocket should arrive in the next 2 weeks..

IMG_3167Large.jpg

Look at the space for the lower exhausts!!

IMG_3168Large.jpg

WOW!

Looks like its progressing fast.

With some room to play with I wonder if its possible to allow adjustment of engine height thereby fine tuning the C of G?

The engine can't be moved very much, I need to keep the front sprocket in more or less the same location as the original R6 front sprocket so that greatly limits where the engine can go.. So far it looks good, as soon as the exhausts arrive from the UK, I can try fitting them and then see where the radiator can go.. I planned 1 year to get the mechanics done, but at this rate it probably will only need a few months.. The long part will be making all the fiberglass body panels and finding someone to make me a gas tank..

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Well I started the next part, I made a couple of cables for the choke mechanism and used an old FZR1000 choke lever, so we now have clutch, throttle and choke cables all made and working..

IMG_3271Large.jpg

I then started trying to make the exhaust system, I am using a GP style swarbrick system that I got of eBay a year or two ago. Having to chop it up to fit but without changing the volumes of the exhaust sections.. the two lower exhausts are looking fairly good, we cut them to fit closer to the engine and to give a bit more clearance at the front, need to do a bit more welding but they are at least 50% done, will then weld on the stingers and order some silencers. I still need to start the upper exhausts.

IMG_3270Large.jpg

I tried to fit the R6 radiator but found there is not enough room to pass the exhausts and give clearance for the front mudguard, so will have to look at changing/modifying the radiator to make it fit..

IMG_3268Large.jpg

IMG_3269Large.jpg

Progress is slow, temperatures dropped down to freezing and it was too cold to work in my garage. I suspect this project will stop for a few weeks to get Xmas out of the way and to let the garage heat up a bit..

I have started to make the front engine mounts so hope to try them for size soon, will post some pictures up once it gets a bit warmer and I can work on the bike again.

Gary

Absolutely stunning "R5" :D Thanks to projects like yours, I've started to seriously consider the feasibility of hotting up an RG/RD 500 engine and fabbing/adapting a modern lightweight frame for it (was originally thinking a supermono would be great fun, but these are just amazing). I have a question and a possible solution for you:

Q: Am I right to assume this is track only, or is it legal/registerable to put the older two-smoke engine in the newer R6 frame? I live in the States also and IIRC for cars to be road legal any engine swap has to be same year or newer (crosses fingers that it's different for bikes).

S: If you can't find any way to make your rad. fit, the engine looks small enough that I'd think an RC51 race-type dual-rad setup would work out well, especially if you're using the wider (I4) plastics from the 2008 R6. Maybe knocked up out of a pair of mx rads or similar. just a thought...

dsc01622rq1.jpg

Cheers,

James

Hi James,

The bike is for road use not track.. I use to race 25+ years ago on Suzuki X7's & then RZ350LC and an RG500 but had a nasty accident that ended the fun!! Now I ride on the road, I already have an RG500 that is road legal here in Austin:-

DSC_0005Medium.jpg

But wanted to put the same engine in something more modern to get the better handling. My first RG makes 126HP on a dynojet 250 and I am hoping this engine which is a similar tune to the first but running slightly tighter Squish and wider ports will make 130HP. In a modern chassis it should fly and I am hoping will be ligter than my other RG500..

If I remove the 6 bottom rails of the R6 radiator it will fit, I just need to check that it has enough cooling capacity for the RG engine with the smaller surface area.. I also have a couple of RZ350's just for fun. I may end up running a couple of radiators but would prefer one large radiator if I can do it..

James, to answer your question, I cannot register the bike as an R6, but here in Texas you can register a bike as assembled from Major parts, it only has to pass the annual safety inspection (no emmission testing) which is how I regsitered my other RG500. You need receipts for the 5 major parts:- Frame, engine, wheels, bodywork & suspension. It takes less than an hour to register and is 100% legal. They may stop this in the future so I want to finish this project before this classification goes away... I don't know if you have the same rules in your state, but it works for Texas!!

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's still too cold for me, but I managed to get the lower exhausts finished, ignore the mashed aluminium silencers, they where just fitted to get the lines right, I will fit a set of TZMike carbon silencers at the end.. The right hand exhaust didn't follow the engine as closely as I wanted (Bit more space than I like) but I don't think there will be any problems with ground clearance. I will start the rear exhausts in January along with the spacers for the front engine mounts and the actual frame brace for the front engine mount. Still waiting for the offset front sprocket to arrive, my engineering company (Kosman specialities) fell ill and will now make it in the new year!! No urgent need for it, but I would like to have it and check that the chain alignement is correct!! I hope to actually ahve the engine running and a drivable chassis by June/july 2010, then it will be a long slow effort to make all the bodywork..

Happy Xmas everyone.

Just the exhausts

IMG_3299Large.jpg

The complete bike

IMG_3300Large.jpg

And my 2 RG570's side by side..

IMG_3301Large.jpg

Gary

I fitted a gsx-r1100ws engine into a slabby frame, and as you have found had no room to run the radiator in the normal position, so I used the ws oil cooler in the slabby oil cooled mounts and now use a pair of vfr radiators mounted either side, similar to how they are mounted on the Honda, its not much wider as the engine is smaller than the oil boiler anyway, might be worth trying a pair of vfr rads or firestorm rads to see how you get on. The fairing panels could be modified to divert the heat from the rads away from the carbs too.

Thanks for the idea kja, I am trying to get the exhausts and engine mounts done and then will attack the radiator issue, it's the least of my worries. The two rear exhausts are coming along quite nicely and even fit in the slightly modified R6 rear subframe!! Looks like the rear of the drivers seat will be an inch higher than on a stock R6 which is no issue for me (6 foot 2 tall!). Need to do a bit more cutting and welding and will then put up some more pics of the exhausts.. Hoping to have the exhausts and engine mounts finished by February, really depends how quickly I can make up the engine spacers (need to fix the lathe first!).

Gary

Thanks for the earlier reply Gary, watching your project progress is helping keep the Iowa winter from driving me too crazy! I'm trying very hard to find out the specific registration/title laws around here, but I suck at internet there's jack and shit for info online. Guess I'll be buggin' the DMV in person in the near future.... :tumbleweed: Keep up the good work, my friends and I are cheering you on from up north! ;)

Archived