R6 brake upgrade

stalkyracer

Hi,

Any racers out there running a 600 (mines 2008 R6) who've upgraded their standard calipers and discs??

Currently running standard set up (ie. master cylinder, calipers, discs) with steel lines and race pads. Just purchased a Brembo RCS master cylinder, and now seriously considering upgrading discs and calipers to Brembo.

Be very interested to hear others opinions on what they are using and personal experience of the pros and cons of doing such a conversion.

Hi,

Any racers out there running a 600 (mines 2008 R6) who've upgraded their standard calipers and discs??

Currently running standard set up (ie. master cylinder, calipers, discs) with steel lines and race pads. Just purchased a Brembo RCS master cylinder, and now seriously considering upgrading discs and calipers to Brembo.

Be very interested to hear others opinions on what they are using and personal experience of the pros and cons of doing such a conversion.

My opinion is that the stock brakes are more than powerful enough and fade-free, and especially "big" brakes on a 600 aren't necessary, the idea is to NOT slow down!!!

To give you an idea, I have Ohlins 25mm race cartridges and TTX shock set up for slicks, and I'm definitely not wanting for more brakes that's for sure. They're stock brakes, pads/discs and all.

I'd look at other areas of improvement first, if you can't slow yourself enough with the stock brake system, maybe the riding techniques should be looked at?

Anyway for bling the HPK kit is awesome, but a lot of cash for NO improvements over stock, you'll just be replacing perfectly good parts :)

There's a long list of stuff I'd do before changing discs, and certainly before thinking about changing calipers on an R6.

My '05 R6 which had the same brake set up had more than enough brakes. Good set of pads and hoses, everything in tip top condition and away ye go.

If you are going to change the discs then stay away from the wavy stuff and go for the Brembo race discs.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys, very much appreciated and kind of what I expected to hear.

I totally appreciate and understand what you are all saying, though I'd still be interested to hear from anyone who has actually tried aftermarket performance discs and capliers (especially Brembo on the R6) who can give a direct performance comparison between the two setups on track.

Thanks again :eusa_whistle:

Can I ask if you actually find your set up lacking? Too much fade? Not enough feel?

What pads are you using?

Hi mate,

Thanks for your reply again.

I certainly don't find the current set up lacking (currently using Bendix MCR pads), however, i'm obviously always looking for ways to improve things to give you that edge.

Though, equally, I'm very aware that changing things for the sake of it (even if it is to nice shinny new Brembo brakes) isn't necessarily the answer - one step forward, two steps back springs to mind, hence why I would love to hear from anyone who has actually changed the stock capliers and discs to give me a direct comparison.

Maybe this is a feature the magazine could run???

Thanks again :lol:

I cant compare to those who have changed to a 'Big Brake" setup as I've not done it myself,

However, on my 08 600rr trackbike I was originally running a completely bog standard set up and I was suffering from a lot of fade and/or too much lever travel so I upgraded to HEL braided lines, EBC HH Pads, DOT5.1 Fluid and a 19/20 Brembo M/C. If you're left wanting more from a set up like that then fair play to ye I say! :icon_salut:

Chances are, if you spend the big bucks and go for the calipers and discs then the £/Performance ratio won't be what you are expecting if you've maximised the set up you have now.

Alternatively, have you thought of a cast iron set up? Possibly cheaper than blingy brembo kit with just the performance you're after?

Alternatively, have you thought of a cast iron set up? Possibly cheaper than blingy brembo kit with just the performance you're after?

can-o-worms.gif

:D

Waits for Morepower and/or Millemille to appear :icon_salut:

It might be that your fluid is boiling. The pads are getting hot and transefering the temp to the fluid, this causes gas and that means the gas gets compressed when your braking .... that's brake fade.

Use a 5.1 fluid because it has a higher boiling point, it also doesn't absorb water so well (which is what biols in standard fluids).

Next ... as has been said a big brake set up will slow you faster (obviously) but really you want to carry as corner speed as possible .... sooooo .... if anything you want smaller disks, or at least lighter ones. Remember if you take weight away from the front wheel the bike will change diresction faster, speed and slow quicker because the unsprung weight is smaller.

Archived