zx9r knocking at front end

jeffscaff

i have a 1998 zx9r with 18500 miles. everytime i go over the smallest of bumps or holes i get a annoying knocking from the front end. i have been advised it could be either pads knocking in callipers or something to do with floating discs. please help. thanks jeff :icon_blackeye:

Could be the pads in the calipers -how many miles have they got? The calipers are shit on 9s.

It won't be the discs, unless they are hanging off. Kawasaki gave us a semi-floating, to stop the noise of full (boo).

Maybe head bearings? Is there a wobble under heavy braking? Try rocking the bike straight into a kerb/wall and see if there is any give.

If it is head bearings, there not too bad to change. The most difficult bit is re-torquing to the correct setting without the special tool.

if they have 6pots calipers the metalplate rattles on the back of the caliper. had the same problem on my srad 750 which have the same calipers.

As has already been said-things to check are....1.headstock bearings for looseness

2.pads wearing out the inside edges of the calipers-they all seem to do this its just a matter of time/mileage

3.check the disc isn't moving on the disc rotors rivets-i.e. hold the brake on and rock back and forth-get a friend to see how the disc moves in relation to the rotor(centre),also disc is secure on the wheel hub?

4.mudguard is secure?

5.fork bushes worn?unlikely at that mileage-sure the milage is correct as alot of the above souldn't really occour at that mileage

6.some model zx9's the headlight internals manage to kind of break up!!hit the nosecone underneath to check(headlights are pricey!)

7.check theres no small stones in the resonator boxes(little airbox things just below the intakes-about where the indicators are

try all them as they're the usual suspects

My fazer does this and its the pads.

Hold the brake on gently when you go over some bumps, if all is quiet its most likely the pads.

I also had the same sort of noise when my fuel tank was loose once.

unlikely at that mileage-sure the milage is correct as alot of the above souldn't really occour at that mileage

6.some model zx9's the headlight internals manage to kind of break up!!hit the nosecone underneath to check(headlights are pricey!)

It's fair miles for the head bearings, specially on the non lubed kawasaki's. Just done them on my 9R C with 17K.

Good call on the headlight, forgot that one!

Archived