Heat up and die

EvilSpike

So to add to the list of problems I'm having with the bike recently...

Waiting for the ferry boat at the top of the ramp, bike ticking over for two or three minutes, dipped headlight on and fan starts up. Reminds me I've been waiting a few minutes so I switch off the engine (which kills the headlight) but the fan runs for a few more seconds. Thirty seconds later the bloke waves me onto the ferry so i switch on the ignition, and only get two or three stabs at the starter in which the bike won't fire before the battery gives up. That will be a bump start of the ferry please then mister...

Now, when I started the 25 mile trip it took a few stabs of the starter to get going, so the battery had a pretty good charge half an hour ago. I'm not using full beam on the trip and most of the trip was spent well above idle as it was all fast a/b roads. It's not the first time this has happened, on the way to Castle Combe last month i switched the engine off for a minute when it was getting hot and it refused to start again.

So, could replace the battery, its a few years old...

It's never had an alarm butchered into the eletrics, but its still an 11 year old bike and seen a few torrential downpours so it could be crap in the eletrics.

Fan could be shagged, but why would it drain a battery so bloddy quickly.

Could be something else.

Any ideas? Thanks very muchly...

Oh, and anyone have any thoughts upon Grimeca DS line disks please? Some scrote tried moving my bike in the lock up with the disk lock on and bent one of my front disks...

Battery would be first. Try it and see.

Next on the list would be reg/rec unit. It's possible it's not charging. Could always have the bike on full beam at tickover and see if the light brightens when revved. If not it'll want replacing.

But batteries get funny with age.

id guess its the battery on its way out but as said it could also be the reg/rec, ive seen a few now which stop working when they get hot yet work perfectly when cool

I'd check that the genny is actually send enough through the reg rec.... if high revs seems to make it work better then it might partially burned out (as I had this same kind of issue a wile back on my NC)

Check the battery with a volt meter it should be about 13.5 with the engine off.

Run the engine and it should be about 14, give the bike a rev and see changes.

If the reg recs gone then the volts will be high with the engine running and get fluctuate when the bike revs.

If the battery's ok but doesn't get much charge from the gen then take it off and have a look at the wire coils - look for discolouring. Check the wires from the gen too, if they look burnt or the insulation is hard they could be creating a higher resistance and they'll eventually go.

Clean up the block connectors and put a small amout of vaseline on the male connections - it will help waterproof them and be easier to take appart - give the wires a light push and prod and look at the the wires you might just have a dodgy connection.

One thing though, did you fit high wattage bulbs in the headlight, if so you need a relay to take the extra charge.

Some ZXR4's (fortunately not mine) just don't start well from hot. I don't know why, but it's a fairly widespread thing (try searching for 'hot starting' on the zxr400ownersclub.co.uk forums) and I've not seen a definitive reason why.

Your battery is probably a bit weak as well, judging by how quickly you said it gave up cranking the engine over. If it is weak then it won't be helping.

Good idea to check the charging system as well.

Some ZXR4's (fortunately not mine) just don't start well from hot. I don't know why, but it's a fairly widespread thing (try searching for 'hot starting' on the zxr400ownersclub.co.uk forums) and I've not seen a definitive reason why.

Not saying this is a fix at all, as I've not got one, but...I've been lookin at Kawaks with FCR on you tube...seemed to be the Dyna coils were suggested as the hot start fix. ZXR 4 and ZX7.

Id start with the reg/rec and battery, had this problem with my old super tenere(reknowned for reg/rec probs) and had the same symptoms as yours. another prob with the starting could be that one of the coils is breaking down, the heat can cause them to split slightly giving bad starting. Like has been said, get a multimeter across the battery with the bike running and have a look at the readings

I'm interested to see how this goes, my zx7r isn't the best starter from hot, although I've checked the charging circuitry and it's all good. i assumed it was just because the fuel's not spot on. I'm going to remove the enviro gubbins over the winter, maybe a full system, then get it dyno'd, see how it goes from there.

Thanks for the answers, sorry it's taken me a while to reply...

So the long and the short of it is:

Engine off: 12.9v

Ignition on: 12.9v dropping to 12.5v

Engine running: 14.6v

Engine run rev it: 14.72v to 14.58v

Engine run lights on: 11.96v

Engine & lights on rev it: 14.21 to 11.93v

Is that the rectifier up the duff then? 2.25v fluctuation is that enough to cause damage? If so then I suspect thats the reason I've blown two of the instrument bulbs recently and the side stand cut out no longer works... Might try replacing the reg/rec and get a new battery, its at least five years old and gets left for a couple of months at at time so it hasn't had the easiest of lives...

Haven't really gotten round to thinking too much about the thermostat Al as I have no idea what it should be reading and thats probably a bit past what i'm able to do to be honest. The manual I have is just scanned and not that good. Did you get another trackday in on the zed again?

Joys of chasing electrical gremlins in an 11 year old bike...

Id have a go with just a new battery at that age, figures dont seem to bad, looks more like its not fully holding a charge hence the drop down below 12v

Thermostat shouldn't be that hard to test, you just need to know what temp it should open and close. Take it out and put it in a pan of water with a thermometer. Boil up the water, you should hear it click at the required temp.

Secondhand stats go for about £10 - £15 on ebay so its not the end of the world.

And the Zed has been retired from trackday duty after it gloroius debut - it was not as fast and did not handle as well as the steelie :tacheemoticonwh7: Maybe I was just too cautious on it. Just to be on the safe side, I've bought a 2005 ZX6R track bike instead :eusa_think:

Archived