Projector/Endurance Headlights

tsp

As some of you know, I'm making a weak attempt at re-building a very tired Fireblade.

I've managed to obtain some race fairings for it but they leave me with 1 slight problem.

NO HEADLIGHTS :eusa_whistle:

I'm considering some sort of endurance set up, either the standard type lamp flushed into the fairing (old style first, then modern) -

536949535_68550fbb6a_o.jpg

2152859566_0e2c5551d5_o.jpg

or the spotlights sat inside the fairing -

3450261556_12eb0cb513_o.jpg

or the spotlights on the fairng -

rob-north-racing.jpg

or the projector style which I can't find a picture of :blink:

The other thing that's a possibility would be a headlight from another bike.

What do you think? This is something I'm very much open to suggestions on.

Also, do you really need a high beam too? Or could I just get away with a dipped beam?

Tom

All singing and dancing 90mm diameter Hella HID light and ballast fitted to my SRAD.

Has lo and hi beam.

Picture151.jpg

Picture140.jpg

Too big and not light enough for my liking now, so could be for sale.

It won't be cheap tho...

Have a word with baileysam of this parish. He may be able to supply you with some Volvo F12 running lights, which take an H7 bulb. H7 is a single filament job, so there's no main beam or dip (the main beam equivalent to H7 is H9). For two filament systems, you'll need H4, and I can't help you there.

Fastphil/fixedup-phil, also of this parish, had a very nice projector lamp on his Ducati 998, although he said it was a bit shit for road use. He may be able to tell you where he got it from though. I haven't seen him here for a while, so you may struggle to get in contact with him.

There are a million H4/H7 kits for cars on ebay, but you'll need to hack them about/make your own subframe fittings. OK if you can, but not much help if you can't.

Alternatively, some modern bikes run these units --Ducatis do, I know, and I think also MV Agusta and perhaps 2009 Yamaha R1s. You may be able to get parts from a breaker, but they won't be cheap.

edited to add:

You can get HID kits (lamp and ballast box) for cars or bikes from about £38 upwards on ebay. H7 has only one filament, and can't dip. H4 has two, and on HID lights, the dip is done by mechanically moving the lamp -- this is built into the bulb. I think you need a projector-style lamp to run HID BICBW. I'm currently working out how to install two 50W HID H7 lamps into some F12 projectors I got from Baileysam.

A mate fitted a race fairing to his cbr600 and used a tiny projector style headlight off a moped to get through the mot. Obviously doesn't throw much light out but you could put a HID kit in, I've used the cheap ones from Hong Kong and for £38 they are great.

Just to add to the above-i ripped a magelli 125 headlight to pieces the other day to get the H7 projectors out-they have one either side and just have one angled higher for the main beam.Also ZZR1400's have the projectors too.

See Here for a cheap alternative. It´s 50mm Hi/Lo Beam via magnetic shutter(?) and you can get my used one for half the price including a bracket made to fit my VFR´s track fairings. Just PM me if you are interested.

2-2.jpg

It´s the bigger one, the smaller one is an aditional HiBeam projector light which was installed to keep the german authorities happy.

3450261556_12eb0cb513_o.jpg

Fuck me that bike is beautifull, he is doing exactly what I would be doing if it was in me shed and no one could see... :eusa_think:

A hole, a single lamp from a bike that runs twin lamps (I have a brand spanker NC30 lamp I can measure for you if needs be), and some araldite and tada!

DSC00204.jpg

or the spotlights on the fairng -

rob-north-racing.jpg

Love this look, wonder if it would work on my 6R with track bodywork, rig them up to be quick release?

As one of the previous posts, get an Nc30, zxr 750, zxr 400 etc etc single headlight (and maybe the mounting plate - or part of) I've used this in the past, quite cheap and plenty of options. You get Hi/Lo beam and sidelight.

Thanks for the heads up mate, added a couple to the list!

I'm a bit concerned about the fibreglass fairing supporting the light... Could be an issue!

Tom, have you got any photos of the back of your fairing? Also, any of the fairing fitted to a bike?

Cheers mate

Thanks Tom, I noticed you only used 2 mounts at the front. Does it hold it firm enough with just the 2 mounts?

The fairing? It's also mounted at the sides where it meets the top of the radiator. I used the two front mounts to allow for beam aim adjustment. Plenty strong enough.

Archived