Main fuse keeps blowing

gsxr renegade

Hi Guys, wonder if someone can help.

I've got a k8 gsxr 750 and the main fuse on it keeps blowing. The problem only started last week, the fuse blew and i replaced it. However, it only lasted a week before blowing again, leaving me stranded at my gf's gouse, after having to push the bike for half a mile.

It seems to happend randomly, on the way to my gf's house, it blew 4 fuses in 20 mins, but when i came to pick it up, and limp home on it the next day, it got all the way back to my house without blowing. I breifly checked the bike over last night, and all seemed fine, but it blew again on the way in to work this morning

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I've never had any electrcal probles with it before last week.

I'm not really sure where to start with the fault finding. None of the other fuses have blown, just the main one, so can i assume that the circuits connected to the other fuses are not where the problem is?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a short to earth somewhere. Check the loom where it is visible, and make sure nothing has rubbed the insulation off it anywhere, if the main fuse is blowing, it must be a big issue causing it, and if intermittant, my money is on a rubbed/overheated/broken wire shorting out on the frame/metal parts.

Sounds like a short to earth somewhere. Check the loom where it is visible, and make sure nothing has rubbed the insulation off it anywhere, if the main fuse is blowing, it must be a big issue causing it, and if intermittant, my money is on a rubbed/overheated/broken wire shorting out on the frame/metal parts.

:eusa_whistle: cheers

Does anyone know if any of the other fuses have blown if the problem was related to it? i.e. if the fault was in the wire that took power to the headlight, would the headlight fuse have blown as well, or just the main fuse?

Or would it be impossible to tell? I'm just trying to narrow down the area in which the fault could be, i don't fancy having to pull the entire loom out to search for it, if i don't have to.

Ta Muchly

If the main is blowing, it will likely not be one of the spurs, i.e. headlight. More likely to be a short on the starter, earth, main feed to fuse box or anyhwere prior to the accesories.

If I were you, I'd be wrapping a gert big nail in tin foil, and hammering it in the main fuse slot. If the bike actually does catch fire, I never said that, right?

Does anyone know if any of the other fuses have blown if the problem was related to it? i.e. if the fault was in the wire that took power to the headlight, would the headlight fuse have blown as well, or just the main fuse?

Or would it be impossible to tell? I'm just trying to narrow down the area in which the fault could be, i don't fancy having to pull the entire loom out to search for it, if i don't have to.

Ta Muchly

if its a fault in the sub circuits, ie headlights, indicators, fan etc then that fuse should go, most likely if the main fuse goes has to be the starter or its solenoid i would have thought. something is going to ground (shorting)

:eusa_think:

Hi Guys, wonder if someone can help.

I've got a k8 gsxr 750 and the main fuse on it keeps blowing.

It'll still have warranty then wont it? :eusa_think:

might be worth posting on the gixxerjunkies website,

i go on there a fair bit and all the guys seem very good, might be a common problem ,if you have trouble logging on,give me a shout and i'll copy and paste your question.

there is a workshop section.

mark

:eusa_think:

Thanks for all the help guys. It turns out that a wire coming from the regulator rectifier had been rubbing on the mounting bracket, and was shorting out. :pbtwerplr3:

Archived