tyre removal

hondabri

Depends on the type of tyre, some have softer tyre walls which makes it easier.

If you can push the bead off the rim into the centre you've done the hard bit.

Check out the thread I started in the workshop tutorials section. You can bodge a really effective bead breaker for little or no outlay. Others have posted their own tricks and tips there too.

You`re all gay, man the fuck up.

They aren`t that hard, just takes technique,not all brute force although some is needed.

lmao

So helpful, Father. :D

Well, having just changed both tyres on the GS, I felt I Was qualified. :D

However as stated once the bead is broken it's not too bad getting the tyres off with a good pair of levers, some sort of wheel/rim protecter is very advisable, the ones that are normally available didn't work at all well on my wheels, so I ended up improvising with some plastic signs I just happen to have.. :eusa_whistle:

Tyre warmers will make any tyre behave, for removing or re-fitting. Pop it on, cuppa, smoke and it'll be reet but work fast. Use levers though, not your mum's best spoons...

Piece of piss

You need nothing longer than 8" levers - if its hard to get then your technique is wrong

Plus, you need some rim protectors unless you aint bothered about the finish (plus the bead breaker)

Stick it in front of the gas fire for an hour or so to get the tyre nice and warm, that way it'll be even easier

plus the bead breaker

This is the fly in the ointment, it's impossible to remove tyres without a bead breaker of some sort. Levers on their own are not enough.

This is the fly in the ointment, it's impossible to remove tyres without a bead breaker of some sort. Levers on their own are not enough.

"Of some sort" is the key part of that statement though.

Homemade one out of bits of plank, or use a spade, or the front wheel of your car/van. Not a problem.

I'm assuming the bead on a van tyre is no tougher or easier than a bike? The guys that come out and do tyre swaps on our work vans have a 6" length of sturdy angle iron and a sledge hammer. Womp! It's off, takes literally seconds. The rest is just levers and soap. Oh, and a bit of swearing too.

I changed the tyres on the DR800 with a bead breaker 'of some sort'. It just happened to be the sort that looks a lot like a tyre lever. I've also got one that looks a lot like a size 11 boot.

Wouldn't try it on a sportsbike tyre, but perfectly possibly on 80 or 90 profile dualsport tyres (Anakees in this case)

Not impossible, but bloody hard.

I've changed tubeless tyres with just tyre levers before - and it takes a while gradually working the bead but it can be done.G clamps are useful for breaking the bead, too, if you've nowt else.

Archived