sp1 sprockets

andysp1

Im going to get some new renthall sprockets.and im gonna get 1 tooth less on the front and keep the standard size on the back. My question is, would this be the best way of getting acceleration or should i alter the back one as well, but i have heard that doing this might change the speedo reading.

As always, comments are great fully received. I would be no where without the forum!

i tried one tooth less on the front,and to be honest i never got on with it,i found i was always in the wrong gear in corners and ended up going back to standard. and yes any change in sprockets changes the true speed of your bike compared to the speedo.

Swapping either sprocket, front or rear will have the same effect, but it's more pronounced on the front sprocket. 1 tooth off the front is similar to adding about 3 on the rear. This'll leave you with a bike that's down a bit on top speed but shorter gears in between. On some bikes it really suits them, on others it just leaves you feeling like you're ragging it to death everywhere. I've never had a bike that doesn't feel at least a bit more urgent through the gears, although testing has sometimes shown that on some bikes the real difference in acceleration is minimal. Roll ons etc should usually always be a bit quicker though.

Personally, I'd just do the front sprocket, drop one tooth, and see how it feels. If you don't get on with it then it's only cheap and it's fairly easy to put back again. It transformed my old TRX and my mate with a Mille loved it on his bike, but on my zx7r I'm not entirely convinced that it's much kop for road use as it always feels like I'm revving it up too much, although this is probably as much to do with the loud exhaust meaning that it always feels like I'm revving it a bit.

It also depends what tyres you're running. I prefer using a 190/55 rear on my SP1 and tried -2 on the front around Donington, but left me making so many gear changes it felt slower. Standard front gearing and +2 on the rear makes the tyre foul the swingarm linkage. For road and track use I'm happy with a 15 tooth on the front and standard 40 tooth rear which compensates for the oversize rear tyre and gives very slightly more acceleration over standard.

Have a go of this. It's the dog's bollocks.

www.gearingcommander.com

I'm running a 190/55 rear tyre too, and a -1 front sprocket mainly to compensate for the taller back tyre. If I was on a 190/50 I'd keep it standard, or possibly a +1 on the back. Any more just feel horrible. It's a v-twin with a very wide spread of torque so running motocross gearing like some people would suggest seems to defeat the point in the first place.

If you want to accelerate faster, ride in a lower gear. :tumbleweed:

BTW,when I need new chain and sprockets I'll probably go for a standard front and +3 rear but get chain with an extra link or two in it to compensate and give the chain an easier life around the front sprocket.

I tried that link rainer, v good. I think ill go with 1 less on the front. Thank you

What tyres are you using? I was happy using 190/50 Rennsports until David W recommended trying a 190/55 (and putting a 5mm spacer on top of the rear shock to raise the ride height). He was dead right - it made a good bike into a brilliant bike.

Archived