First post and new project

Chrisball

Hi there PB readers, ive been reading PB for years. Without doubt the best bike mag on the market!!!

Ive started a Rgv/RG conversion project. Just about got all my bits together and will post pisctures up of my progress.

Im going to build to a high standard with a tuned motor should make 130bhp. GSXR k7 swingarm, un sure about forks and wheels as yet. Will most probably be GSXR also.

Undecided as to a paint scheme as yet but thats a long way off but maybe a modern tribute to Bazza or a 500 gp rep.

Will update soon and any ideas welcome.

Chris

forget the gsxr k7 swingarm as they had a recall i believe as the arms were cracking.

better of with a later model r6

The 600/750 k7 front end is a good conversion, but so is the later r6. take your time and get the right bits and your project will look that much better.

Thanks for that mate, have been watching your build with great interest. Although i have started mine from the other end i think! My motor is all built ready to go. But not actually started to mount it yet!

Just looked at a R6 arm and it looks good do you know if this has been done before?

Will post pics of finished motor later.

Chris

get someone who knows this conversion to do the engine mounting such as bdk http://www.bdkraceeng.co.uk/

or blue haze who seem to know there stuff http://2moto.co.uk/ although i'm not sure whether they have done this particular conversion .

the key to this instal is engine location .its easy to get the engine in but not to get it in in the right place . don't use the drysdale kit the rear mounts are ok but the front are frankly shite . remember the rg engine was never meant to be a structural member and doesn't have heavy crank case webbing so a full cradle is best . mine suffered from cooling issues (rgv rad didn't cut it for mine) .

DSC02142.jpg

when looking at exhausts get some taylor made again look to blue haze as it is easy to go for a set of jolly motos and get them modded but you are trying to cram in pipes where they weren't meant to be . mine were to short and killed the top end .

DSC02151.jpg

which in hind sight was handy as if i could have realy reved it the thing would have overheated quicker . pm me if i can be of any help as i have been through a number of the pitfalls

Thanks for the reply, i spoke to Mark Dent on monday who has built my engine, and he said the drysdale kit is now good. He said the head mounts have been revised and have no issues with cracking. Having said that iam still going to fabricate a cradle to pick up the front bottom engine mount and use the drysdale kit for the rear mounts.

Pipes will be made by Mark also i think, the plan over the next few months is to get the motor mounted and the whole thing rolling!

What rad do you recomend? Your bike looks great a real sleeper! But im sure i have seen it before? Is it the one that was in PB in the late 90's??

Thanks for the interest

Chris

nice to see your engine has a three part drysdale clutch casing this will help in the instalation . what gearbox are you using as later mods ie increased oil volume and mods to gears 2 and 6 did not work ......... go on ask me how i know . although i very much respect mark dent as an engine tuner and a manufacturer of fantastic pipes i would not ask spondon or harris to tune my engine any more than i would ask stan stephens or mark dent to build me a frame . if you subject that engine to torsional loads and it is not cradled in the right way the cases will flex it will or could draw in air or gearbox oil and weaken the mix or lower the crankcase pressure spoiling fueling . i bet that engine owes you a fortune , buy a nova box , or at least some straight cut primary gears if they are not already fitted .

look at beeks instalation full cradle . looking good beek

Its fitted with straight cut primaries, and has had the gearbox mods with undercut dogs. Marks assured me that using the right oil volume and being vigilant there should not be a problem.

I will look out for a Nova box in due corse.

As i said i will fabricate a cradle and use the drydale rear mounts. Altho ive been told that the mounts off the front of the heads is now safe like you say it doesnt look sufficient.

Chris

I know that you are itching to get on and do the conversion but do you really want to go down the rgv frame route. i know that there have been many done but thats part of my point it will just be another rgv conversion they all look the same

Now im not saying mine is the best or anything but at least it different and doesnt take that much more to convert. the aprilia certainly looks better than the rgv, so give it some thought as there are some decent frame out there how about a newish r6 for starters.

Archived