Dremel multitool

Harvey Mushman

Thinking of getting a Dremel 300 as they look really useful and I could use it for a couple of jobs on my NC30 project but are they any good? They seem too good to be true, a multitool, that can cut, sand, grind polish and more for less than £50.

Anybody got one and if so what do you think?

i wouldn't be without my dremel, so so usefull (mines an earlier model). The tools such as the grinders, cutters, buffers will need replacing fairly regularly as you can wear them out quickly with hard use. also if your useing the cutting discs WEAR BLOODY GOGGLES!!!! they shatter quite easily and the bits will ping out so fast you wont even see them, and possibly not see anything ever again. The spanner/chuck key on mine is crap, but a 3/8" open ended spanner fits fine. obviously not ideal for all jobs, but a solid 8/10 rating from me.

That's good enough for me, I'll get one ordered straight away. Think I'm going to plump for the one that comes with 55 accessories.

Specifically I'm wanting to use it to cut some stuff off of the NC's rear subframe, to trim the plastic rear mudguard down and to clean up the exhaust. I'm sure it'll come in use around the home too as I'm helping my dad renovate his house.

the last jobs i did with mine...

removed 'not for road use' stamps off my acra's and polished up

cut neat holes in fairings to fit crash bungs through

reprofiled corroded and rounded off exhaust header bolt (with broken easy out in the end of stud) to take next size down socket.

Specifically I'm wanting to use it to cut some stuff off of the NC's rear subframe, to trim the plastic rear mudguard down and to clean up the exhaust. I'm sure it'll come in use around the home too as I'm helping my dad renovate his house.

just re-read this.....hmmm :icon_salut:

cut how much stuff off the subframe? you might find a junior hacksaw and some elbow grease is just as good.

clean up exhaust? all of it? thats going to take a while, a buffer attachment for a power drill will whizz through that.

they are very good for small jobs, but as the accesories are a bit weeny you might find larger jobs a bit frustrating.

The ideal compliment to a dremel is a cheapo angle grinder, mine was £16 form B&Q, including buying a disc for it too. A dremel's cool for the little things, but a sdteel subframe will take weeks with one, and an angle grinder will do it in seconds, literally.

Just want to take off the thread bolt types things that the right hand side rear footrests bolt onto and with regards to the exhaust, I only want it to clean up hard to reach sections and bits that are badly stained. I have wire wool and elbow grease for the main bits. I'm sure it'll come in useful for when I fit the race bodywork, need to clean up the holes I need to drill through the singarm to route the rear brake line and other similar little jobs.

I'm sure it'll come in useful for when I fit the race bodywork,

It will. I bought mine when I needed to 'modify' the CBR600 seat unit to fit on the ZXR. It paid for itself in the time I saved on that job.

It will. I bought mine when I needed to 'modify' the CBR600 seat unit to fit on the ZXR. It paid for itself in the time I saved on that job.

Same for me when I fitted race bodywork to my R1.

Mitch

I've ordered the Dremel 300 with 55 accessories from B&Q online and pick it up from the Lincoln branch on Saturday. Can't wait to do some damage with it!

Keep an eye out in ALDI. I bought a 'dremmel' copy with flexible shaft drive and about a million attachments for 15 quid. Works just as well as the proper one we've got at work, although the tools it came with are a bit crap.

Keep an eye out in ALDI. I bought a 'dremmel' copy with flexible shaft drive and about a million attachments for 15 quid. Works just as well as the proper one we've got at work, although the tools it came with are a bit crap.

Yep, I've bought cheapo ones in the past and never had any trouble with them, although definatley don't pay extra for the tools as they'll last about 3, maybe 4 minutes. Apart from the brush type tools, they're 30 seconds, if you've got a good one.

Archived