`99 Srad gearshift problem

MarkB

New to the forum and looking for some help/advice ! Have a `99 Srad 750 which when i was out the other day decided it would stick in 5th gear. What actually happened was i changed up to 6th and there was a loud clicking noise so changed down to 5th again. I then tried to select 4th, 3rd etc but it wouldn`t select anything apart from fifth. Rode home in fifth and decided to have a look myself. So far have removed the clutch which is fine and the gear shift rod and cam which both look ok. Does anyone have any ideas before i go any further and split the lower crankcase.

Any advice much appreciated !!!!

Hmmmm.

Detent spring or selector fork?

Can you get at the detent spring on those without removing too much?

+1 The detent spring would be the first place to look.

Hmmmm.

Detent spring or selector fork?

Can you get at the detent spring on those without removing too much?

Hi, sorry for not replying sooner. Waiting for a Haynes manual to arrive in post !!! so can carry on. In the picture i have so far taken off, 28 plus parts and 8 plus parts which look ok. Have also got the sump off. Which is the detent spring you mention in the diagram ? I`ve got a cd manual but doesn`t show this. Many Thanks

Have you got anywhere with this yet?

gsxr750.png

Which bits have you taken off so far?

Hi, sorry for not replying sooner. Waiting for a Haynes manual to arrive in post !!! so can carry on. In the picture i have so far taken off, 28 plus parts and 8 plus parts which look ok. Have also got the sump off. Which is the detent spring you mention in the diagram ? I`ve got a cd manual but doesn`t show this. Many Thanks

hi part 25a looks like the detent spring . bottom left as you look in the clutch housing . factory pro do a uprated detent arm and spring for srads i fitted one to my 99 600 work well . hope you get it sorted mate

hi part 25a looks like the detent spring . bottom left as you look in the clutch housing . factory pro do a uprated detent arm and spring for srads i fitted one to my 99 600 work well . hope you get it sorted mate

Thanks for the info. Got Haynes manual today so will look at spring asap - Cheers

Hi Mark,

I got the exploded pic from here, http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm.

The detent lever (25) should move freely and spring back against the cam plate (13). If you take the detent off then you should be able to turn the cam plate to change gear, rocking the output shaft (front sprocket) back and forth should help.

If you don't know how the gear selector drum works to change gear then this page may help to explain.

Hi Mark,

I got the exploded pic from here, http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm.

The detent lever (25) should move freely and spring back against the cam plate (13). If you take the detent off then you should be able to turn the cam plate to change gear, rocking the output shaft (front sprocket) back and forth should help.

If you don't know how the gear selector drum works to change gear then this page may help to explain.

Hi VeeTeeArr,

Detent Lever 25 is moving ok but the cam plate (13) will only turn on the cam clockwise and anti clockwise, one turn either way. Am i right in assuming it should rotate to select each gear in turn ? When i turn it clockwise it feels like it`s jamming on the selector drum possibly pointing towards bent selector fork ?

One turn of the camplate should select every gear.

The cam plate has one shallow detent and six deep ones. When the detent lever is in the shallow detent the gearbox should be in neutral. Turning it one click one way will select first but go no further, then it should turn back the opposite direction through neutral into second all the way to sixth.

You may need to rock the input shaft (where the clutch fits) & the output shaft (front sprocket) to help locate the gears as you're turning the camplate.

One turn of the camplate should select every gear.

The cam plate has one shallow detent and six deep ones. When the detent lever is in the shallow detent the gearbox should be in neutral. Turning it one click one way will select first but go no further, then it should turn back the opposite direction through neutral into second all the way to sixth.

Mmm, the cam plate will only turn once either way, not like you say it should. If i turn the cam plate anti clockwise the clutch shaft `locks`, if i turn the cam plate clockwise the clutch shaft turns freely. It`s like its selecting a gear one way but not the other ?

When you have the camplate in the position that allows the clutch shaft to turn, is the output shaft turning too?

If the input shaft is driving the output shaft then the gearbox is in gear.

If you try to turn the camplate into a position whereby it locks up the input shaft then it sounds like it's trying to select two gear at once.

It sounds like you're going to have to split the cases if that is the problem.

When you have the camplate in the position that allows the clutch shaft to turn, is the output shaft turning too?

If the input shaft is driving the output shaft then the gearbox is in gear.

If you try to turn the camplate into a position whereby it locks up the input shaft then it sounds like it's trying to select two gear at once.

It sounds like you're going to have to split the cases if that is the problem.

Hi VeeTeeArr

With the detent spring off, the cam plate still only turns one click either way. One way the clutch shaft turns freely so assume this is neutral, and the other way when you turn the clutch shaft the back wheel turns so is in gear. This is as far as it goes and won`t select any other gears. I`m thinking along the lines of the selector forks are not locating in the grooves on the selector drum due to being bent/worn. Will look at taking engine out this weekend as i don`t get much time in week due to work commitments. Let u know how i get on - Thanks for all the help so far !

Hi Mark. see your still having probs. are you still in 5th and are you changing into 6th ,clockwise,

the selector drum has got a stop on it so it doesn´t rotate into 1st. part 13

if you cant find anything else, the engine out and check the selector forks and then the gear drive connectors (dogs)

these are the main causes of gbox probs:::--- check oil for metal fragments (clicking noise) look for rounding on ends or burrs on edges

it could be just clean up and go.

Keith

Hi Mark. see your still having probs. are you still in 5th and are you changing into 6th ,clockwise,

the selector drum has got a stop on it so it doesn´t rotate into 1st. part 13

if you cant find anything else, the engine out and check the selector forks and then the gear drive connectors (dogs)

these are the main causes of gbox probs:::--- check oil for metal fragments (clicking noise) look for rounding on ends or burrs on edges

it could be just clean up and go.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, gearbox still in 5th and not locating anything else. As i said in original post, when it happened i was in 5th, changed up to 6th but all i got was a loud clicking and no drive. nitially thought i`d just missed the gear, then changed back to 5th which was ok, but when i changed down there was nothing, no 4th,3rd,2nd or 1st. Had to ride home about 40 mile in 5th !

Will start taking engine out at weekend. Don`t get much time in week. Have already drained oil which i changed only 1000 mile ago, i use fully synthetic, didn`t see any fragments so far.

Love my Srad, always looked after it, never had a problem like this before so want to get it right.

Thanks - Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, for anyone who`s still with me on this one.

Split crankcases today and found one of the selelctor forks was black in colour at the base of the fork as if it had heat on it and is slightly bent. Have tried to upload pictures but can`t reduce them enough to post on here. If anyone would like pics let me know and will email.

Anyone seen or heard of this problem before ?

Forgot to mention, fork is also scored at the base as if it hasn`t engaged correctly. Also one of the gears on the input shaft has damage to it. Any ideas on how this happened ?

Got some pics now -

SelectorFork.jpg

SelectFork3-1.jpg

Hi Mark,

can you mail me the pics ? I cant see enough detail on these.

can you also say which fork it is going from the blow-up pic and if its part 1 which one.

Can you also take pics of damaged gear and ident it check also opposite gear on lay-shaft for damage

Hope you are getting somewhere with it

Keith

Archived