Lacquering Carbon?

johnny

I've got a carbon front mudguard that I picked up as a bit of a bargain on ebay a couple of years ago. It was never finished that well but perfectly fine for me, now a couple of years on I really think it could do with a coat or two of clear lacquer. I don't fancy giving it to a paint shop as it will invariably cost more than I paid for it so thought I'd see if I can do the job myself.

Is it as simple as giving it a good rub down, spray on some halfords clear lacquer, rub and repeat a couple of times then a good polish?

I've got a carbon front mudguard that I picked up as a bit of a bargain on ebay a couple of years ago. It was never finished that well but perfectly fine for me, now a couple of years on I really think it could do with a coat or two of clear lacquer. I don't fancy giving it to a paint shop as it will invariably cost more than I paid for it so thought I'd see if I can do the job myself.

Is it as simple as giving it a good rub down, spray on some halfords clear lacquer, rub and repeat a couple of times then a good polish?

Have a look on youtube there is an idiots guide on lacquering a wing mirror search carbon fibre or fiber and might be under wet lay up, not to sure off the top of my head. Sorry cant look myself but You tube is naughty and must be banned at work.

In a word, yes.

1000 grade wet and dry or maybe finer would do the trick really nicely. I had some carbon bits that I got cheap do to some fairly deep scratches, I got some clear epoxy, filled the damaged bits, rubbed it smooth, laquered them and then re-ebayed them, and made a tidy profit, they looked as good as new.

Archived