Dented expansion chamber.

zedsdead

Good afternoon everyone.

I wonder if the collective can help? I was having a lovely run at a recent hare n hounds meet when I came off and dented a little more than my pride. The result is a flippin great bang into my lovely exhaust. Does any body know where I can go to get it pushed/blown out.

Thanks, regards Zedsdead.

Good afternoon everyone.

I wonder if the collective can help? I was having a lovely run at a recent hare n hounds meet when I came off and dented a little more than my pride. The result is a flippin great bang into my lovely exhaust. Does any body know where I can go to get it pushed/blown out.

Thanks, regards Zedsdead.

Pretty easy if the are just steel, not chromed.

Id cut the pipe and knock it out or replace the damaged cone section.

show us a picture os said damage

Unfortunately its not steel, its a pro circuit platinum pipe. I,m no good with computers so a picture is beyond me. If you can imagine a half easter egg sized dent pushed into the fat part of the pipe that about sums it up. I,ll speak to the kids and try and sort some piccies out.

A dent that size would be a problem for any pullers, so id reckon it will need cutting tapping out them rewelding. I think im right in saying they are not cones more like hydroformed pipes so it my be possible to blow it out. ideally you need to speak to some one who makes pipes. check you local yellow pages may be some one local to you.

Ive seen it done before by tacking a welding rod onto the middle of the dent and then using a slide hammer on the welding rod whilst applying a bit of heat to the edge of the dint. This wont work if the edges of the ding are properly creased though.

I've plugged one end, filled with water and put it in freezer over night, the expanding water will push out the worst of it. Tried and tested.

I've plugged one end, filled with water and put it in freezer over night, the expanding water will push out the worst of it. Tried and tested.

Sweet idea! I've heard some folk use a pressure washer to expand them out but the freezer method sounds even better!

Sweet idea! I've heard some folk use a pressure washer to expand them out but the freezer method sounds even better!

It works on 2T and 4T pipes. Silencers the works. Ally doesn't pull back well but stainless, mild and Ti it does the trick. Its not a cure all but it does improve most.

You can get a propper blow out kit for pipes,it consists of two plates that clamp on either end of the spanny,one end has a car type valve so you can pressurise the pipe (60 psi ish) then gently heat up with a blow torch or oxy bottles.I did my bro`s cr 250 pro circuit pipe the other day,and that had a dent the size of my fist in the bugger!! I think the kit was off evil bay...

Thanks guys. I have one more event in november and then it will be winter strip down time. I will try the freezer method and see how that goes. Should get the missus chuntering a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Result. I have sorted the dent, two times in the freezer and its pushed out. Its not perfectly smooth buts it,s a damm good repair. I was concerned about splitting the pipe on a weld so i have been watching it like a hawk. Thanks for your ideas and opinions. Regards Zedsdead.

Archived