R1 regulator problems

stuartcr

Hi, was out on my R1 yesterday. when the clocks went blank as i was riding, i switched the lights off and the clocks came back on. Tryed to make it home with the lights off but it cut out about 30 miles futher on.

i think the battery wasn't getting any charge, so the engine was running on battery power only and when the battery went flat the bike stopped.

had i look at the regulator this morning and one of the white wires from the stator is blackened at the connector for regulator.

does that indicate to the stator or regulator being knackered?

thanks stuart

Hi, was out on my R1 yesterday. when the clocks went blank as i was riding, i switched the lights off and the clocks came back on. Tryed to make it home with the lights off but it cut out about 30 miles futher on.

i think the battery wasn't getting any charge, so the engine was running on battery power only and when the battery went flat the bike stopped.

had i look at the regulator this morning and one of the white wires from the stator is blackened at the connector for regulator.

does that indicate to the stator or regulator being knackered?

thanks stuart

Hi,not sure about the blackened wire but i had trouble with the electrics on my '99 R1 quite similar to yours,Clocks going wild and a constant flat battery.

Took me a while but i traced the problem to the loom under the top left hand panel on the fairing(where you access the left-hand indicator), it had rubbed thru on the fairing fastener,the only bit of loom not insulated!!!!

I've since heard it's common to have problems with water in the block connector in that area.

Hope it helps you out.

Daz

Thanks for the reply

i put a voltage tester over the battery it was reading 12.9 when not started, when i started the bike it went up to 13.9 but dropped to about 12.5 when i played about with the connector at regulator.

the blackened wire on regulator connector has melted part of the connector so i think a bad connection at the regulator cause that wire to over heat, maybe , possibly :icon_salut:

You need to check the wires coming out of that stator(the white ones)unplug it and switch your voltmeter to AC volts then check each is pumping out roughly the same volts at a given revs-also check theyre not earthing out.This site has a good rundown of checking out charging system problems......................

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-reso...nding-guide.php

and i usually use these guys for new windings,reg/rec units etc......

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/electrical-...rotors-1-0.html

Archived