Nrc engine casings

Road warrior

After a bit of an off road excursion at a track day I'm fitting nrc casings to my 02 r6. Is there anything I should be careful of before removing the old covers :eusa_whistle:

After a bit of an off road excursion at a track day I'm fitting nrc casings to my 02 r6. Is there anything I should be careful of before removing the old covers :wtfmore:

Yes.

make sure you have a new gasket. don't get a shitty pattern copyto save a few quid - get a proper Yam one. Shouldn't be more than a fiver.

Monkey's top tip:

when you get the new gasket, keep the bit of card it comes on. Do a pencil outline of the gasket with an arrow pointing 'up'and punch holes for the bolts. As you remove each bolt, place it in the corresponding hole on the card. Some of the bolts will be of different lengths & this is a great way of not mixing them up.

Even with all the bolts removed, the old cover may not come off. Make sure you have a soft faced mallet of some sort and a few gentle taps around it should see it free. There may be one or two dowels holding the cover on, make sure you remove these carefully fro

m the cover.

Don't know about the R6 specifically, but on the R1 you can remove the two engine covers without having to drain the oil first, as they are above the sump.

Don't know about the R6 specifically, but on the R1 you can remove the two engine covers without having to drain the oil first, as they are above the sump.

Yep, there's a good chance you can get away without draining the oil, but stick something down on the floor, even just a cup-ful of oil makes a right mess of the garage floor when you're doing this sort of thing, and you'll keep slipping in it for weeks afterwards. Ask me how I know...

Yep, there's a good chance you can get away without draining the oil, but stick something down on the floor, even just a cup-ful of oil makes a right mess of the garage floor when you're doing this sort of thing, and you'll keep slipping in it for weeks afterwards. Ask me how I know...

How do you know? :icon_bounce:

Archived