Anyone with HID kit experience?

DAMO666

Bought a H4 hi/low HID kit from Hong Kong £53 delivered within a week. Fitted it to my van yesterday seems really good quality, Siemens internals in the ballast boxes, rubber seals on all the connectors etc. When you turn the lights on they work fine but when you try main beam via the indicator stalk the blue dash light comes on the instruments but there is no difference in the beam image, the lights do flash ok with the lights off using the indicator stalk. Was wondering if hi/low means this is how they should operate, but i'm sure they were advertised as 35/55w like a normal H4. Drove it in the dark last night and the light they throw out is fantastic and nobody flashed me as if i was driving with the main beam on etc, but would obviously fail an MOT in this state. Any suggestions welcome.

Bought a H4 hi/low HID kit from Hong Kong £53 delivered within a week. Fitted it to my van yesterday seems really good quality, Siemens internals in the ballast boxes, rubber seals on all the connectors etc. When you turn the lights on they work fine but when you try main beam via the indicator stalk the blue dash light comes on the instruments but there is no difference in the beam image, the lights do flash ok with the lights off using the indicator stalk. Was wondering if hi/low means this is how they should operate, but i'm sure they were advertised as 35/55w like a normal H4. Drove it in the dark last night and the light they throw out is fantastic and nobody flashed me as if i was driving with the main beam on etc, but would obviously fail an MOT in this state. Any suggestions welcome.

Sounds like you only have a low beam unit or you have 'em wired up wrong doesn't it?

Impossible to wire up wrong as there is just the one three prong connector that plugs into the vehicle lighting circuit that will only fit one way!

Have you tested it on the bench to see if you get a main and dipped beam depending on how you connect it to the power supply?

If the kit is not SPECIFICALLY a BI-XENON kit, then you have just replaced the H4 dual filament Halogen bulb, with a single HID bulb.

The H4 type HID replacement must have the movable shield on it to make it replicate an H4 conventional bulb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-xenon_HID_...9_light_sources

just tried it with a direct feed from the battery trying the 2 live terminals in turn and i get a dip and main beam, therefore i have got a bi-xenon kit that works correctly. There is obviously something strange going on with the original light bulb plug on the van, going to get the multimeter on it and see if there is a small voltage on the main beam side that is holding the electromagnet in on the xenon bulbs.

just tried it with a direct feed from the battery trying the 2 live terminals in turn and i get a dip and main beam, therefore i have got a bi-xenon kit that works correctly. There is obviously something strange going on with the original light bulb plug on the van, going to get the multimeter on it and see if there is a small voltage on the main beam side that is holding the electromagnet in on the xenon bulbs.

Right, so does it work hooked up to the van electrics but not installed? ......Ie is it the van electrics at fault or is there a problem with a magnetic field like the fuel valve solenoid or something like that?

Right, so does it work hooked up to the van electrics but not installed? ......Ie is it the van electrics at fault or is there a problem with a magnetic field like the fuel valve solenoid or something like that?

I've measured the voltage on the original van wiring lighting plug and when on dipped beam there is 5 volts, 0.08 amps sat on the main beam terminal this must be enough to pull the electro magnet on the xenon bulb in, but obviously not enough to light the filiment on a standard halogen. I'm just going to fit a small relay on the main beam circiut.

I've measured the voltage on the original van wiring lighting plug and when on dipped beam there is 5 volts, 0.08 amps sat on the main beam terminal this must be enough to pull the electro magnet on the xenon bulb in, but obviously not enough to light the filiment on a standard halogen. I'm just going to fit a small relay on the main beam circiut.

5 volts doesn't sound right unless it is a really old fashioned bike! I would have thought all vans would be running on 12v!

Sounds like you have a dodgy connection, switch or relay.

Archived