Front Sprocket

steelcat

I am finally gonnna attempt to change my chain and sprockets on my zx6 tomorrow, and have real a load of horror stories about how difficult is it to undo the bolt on the front sprocket. anybody know how hard it will really be? i know all bikes are a bit different but is it worth me having a go? thanks

Use a T bar, not a ratchet. Undo the sprocket nut before you remove the chain. If it's really tight, take the bike off the stand and get someone to sit on the bike, put it in first gear and hold the brakes on. If you still can't get enough torque, use a long tube over the T bar.

thanks for the help, i have just been to get an old piece of scaffolding that i knew would come in useful one day. hopefully it will be all done and dusted this time tomorrow!

Bar between the spokes of the wheel and the swingarm, wrapped in a towel so it doesn't scratch anything, then a big breaker bar on the front. It's not a techy question you're asking, the answer lies in brute strength...

Mate has been trying, every so often, to get the front sprocket off his spare Duke for 2 years now. Each attempt sees a bigger bar, last one was a 6 foot scaff pole. Nothing, nada, zip, zero. Think it'll shear the engine mount bolts before it moves. Or he'll sell it...

Yup certain models of zx6 CAN be a supreme bugger to remove the front sprocket-they have a very deep nut so lots of threads gripping the output shaft-like lorenzo says i use an old fork leg-oxy acetylene is my last resort but it often comes to that,would be better if you could whip off the bellypan etc and just ask a workshop to loosen it for you-then if it goes bad you can blame them!our work impact gun wont do them-usually i sit on the bike in gear with rear wheel locked with bar and brake whilst manager uses breaker bar with forkleg extension.Nasty.dont reckon you'll have good enough access for a big nut splitter-although if im wrong that'll make me even happier!

A quick update i started the job last night, first problem was i didnt have a long enough 8mm socket to undo the sprocket cover........... a trip to halfords this morning solved that problem. I was thinking that this would be an omen for things to come. Cover undone and wit some apprehension i take a look at the nut of terror. I gather together a number of T bars, sockets and 4 foot scaffold bars to attempt to remove the nut. Only to find that it was less than hand tight. I bends back the washer and it nearly fell off. after the 6 mile round trip to find my grinder, everything went swimmingly. Just hope it all stays together now. Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived