Zxr 750 running poor

oggy411

Scenario: ZXR750H2 28000 miles. Dynojet stage one and K&N filter 500 miles ago. Set up on the dyno and running nicely and serviced 50 miles ago- running sweet. Goes to fill up and spy Tesco 99 ron fuel :eusa_wall: More power thinks me and brims the tank. 5 miles later and she's running like a bitch low down, coughing and spluttering like an asthmatic on 40 a day but much normal as the revs eventually rise. Seems like a weird place to have a flat-spot. So, suggestions, crappy supermarket fuel or co-incidence and a bigger problem :eusa_wall:

I normally find that supermarket fuel is pretty good - I suppose the high turnover means the underground tanks are nice and clean?

BUT if the bike was running sweetly before this fuel it seems to be the most likely cause. I'd drain it and fill up with 95 RON to see what happens before tearing the bike apart.

You can always use the old fuel for parts cleaning/barbeques :eusa_wall:

Draining the tank, refilling with other fuel, and seeing how it goes from there might help, but if it is grot in the fuel, as opposed to a bit of water, then it might have blocked your pilot jets (this is what my money's on) and hence you'll want to get 'em out and un-block them.

I doubt many people are buying the 99 stuff at the moment with the price of fuel, so turnover is likely to be pretty low, and I think it goes "off" quite quickly too.

Never had a good tankful from tesco's - used to run my car on it occasionally, ran like a bag of shite and 30 miles less out of the tank.

Wont touch the stuff now. That was the standard unleaded rather than the super stuff, but cant imagine it'd be much better.

Sorted as in all runs fine now?

I have noticed on a few recent occasions in different garages that all the 95 ron pumps have been switched off and only the higher octane ones are working, maybe this is an attempt to get rid of old fuel?

I had thought it was either to generate extra income or they had run out of normal fuel (which seemed unlikely)

Archived