Carb/fueling probs

tootall

Got running probs with the Gpz, have a look here and let me know what you reckon please.

Am feeling a bit :icon_salut:

It might be a good idea to summerise the problem so we don't have to trawl through a long thread?

It might be a good idea to summerise the problem so we don't have to trawl through a long thread?

Hmm, thought the link would go to the last entry.

Here's a copy/paste anyhoo

Got problems really. Carbs clean as the proverbial whistle but runnin shite.

Fires up at the first dab of the starter button, ticks over happily for a while then every now and again has a wee spit/pop/backfire. Rev it up and it revs up cleanly but takes ages to drop back down to tickover. Try holding steady throttle at anything over tickover and it coughs/bangs/backfires like crazy and sometimes sticks at whatever revs and wont drop back down.

Any ideas? Running Dynojet kit, K&N pod filters, float heights all the same (not sure if they're the right height, but they're all the same), mixture screws set at the Dynojet recommended 2 1/2 turns out.

Hmm, thought the link would go to the last entry.

Here's a copy/paste anyhoo

Got problems really. Carbs clean as the proverbial whistle but runnin shite.

Fires up at the first dab of the starter button, ticks over happily for a while then every now and again has a wee spit/pop/backfire. Rev it up and it revs up cleanly but takes ages to drop back down to tickover. Try holding steady throttle at anything over tickover and it coughs/bangs/backfires like crazy and sometimes sticks at whatever revs and wont drop back down.

Any ideas? Running Dynojet kit, K&N pod filters, float heights all the same (not sure if they're the right height, but they're all the same), mixture screws set at the Dynojet recommended 2 1/2 turns out.

Couple of ideas:

Check for air leaks, worn needle jets/needles (Probably favourite, especially with Dynojet needles), blocked or partly blocked pilots, missing o-rings on mixture screws.

Couple of ideas:

Check for air leaks, worn needle jets/needles (Probably favourite, especially with Dynojet needles), blocked or partly blocked pilots, missing o-rings on mixture screws.

Air leaks: Carb rubbers nice n tight on the carbs and sealed to the head nicely.

Needles/jets: Brand new.

Pilots: Just been through them all again this am, 99% sure they're ok.

Mixture screws: Good point batman. Think I'll pop the carbs off, again, and check that.

Could be a split cv diaphragm, this makes the revs hang like you've described.

Do the floats still float as well? Pop them out and see if theres any petrol still inside them when you shake them about.

Bastard-fucking-cunting-shite-twat

Took carbs off again, thought I'd take out the mixture screws to check the o rings. Three of them fine. One of them was a bit tight, kinda sticky o ring tight. Bit more pressure on the screwdriver and.....snap! top of the mixture screw shears off. Fuckit. Oh well cant be helped run a drill into it just deep enough for an easy out. Can you guess the next bit? Easy out bites nicely in the brass, give it a little bit of pressure and snap, the fucking carb body cracks.

Pissed off.

Anyone sees a set of Z1000J carbs for sale gimme a shout will you.

JB weld and glue it back together, a touch up with silver paint over the top and no one will be any wiser!

'cept the fuckin mixture screw/needle is still seized in there.

Nah 'tis well fucked.

Yikes. Do they share carbs with any other bikes and could you salvage one good one out of a bank of 4 where 1 or two are mullered? Not good that, my heart goes out to you, I've been in similar situations where for all you try to do right by the bike it ends up as if it doesn't appreciate it and gives you a middle finger in reply.

Bastard-fucking-cunting-shite-twat

Took carbs off again, thought I'd take out the mixture screws to check the o rings. Three of them fine. One of them was a bit tight, kinda sticky o ring tight. Bit more pressure on the screwdriver and.....snap! top of the mixture screw shears off. Fuckit. Oh well cant be helped run a drill into it just deep enough for an easy out. Can you guess the next bit? Easy out bites nicely in the brass, give it a little bit of pressure and snap, the fucking carb body cracks.

Pissed off.

Anyone sees a set of Z1000J carbs for sale gimme a shout will you.

That's a bitch! Have you tried some of the people who try and keep spares? I think Z Power do NOS stuff? maybe you'll get lucky?

Otherwise it's a good excuse to get a set of smoothbores and bolt them on....

That's a bitch! Have you tried some of the people who try and keep spares? I think Z Power do NOS stuff? maybe you'll get lucky?

Otherwise it's a good excuse to get a set of smoothbores and bolt them on....

Just put out some feelers for another set of Zthou ones for now. Would love some smoothbores though!

Will google Z Power though and give a ring monday.

Forgot to mention (although I can't find a link now), thought it might be debben or allens performance site that the fitment (spacing is Suzuki G,H or J) but the size of carbs on Z1000 and Z1100 can be 29mm, 32mm, 34mm, 36mm, 38mm or 40mm, so lots of potential choices. Good luck.

Archived