Urgent 1198 Gearbox mech question / assistance

jamesthehondaman

Saturday 3pm ... Weekend before Phillip Island MotoGP ... Best mate (Ryan)'s 1198 had a Termi Full system installed yesterday with his first service on his new 1198 ... took for short squirt this morning ...

Changing down through the gears comin' into a roundabout ... (please close your eyes and imagine...ohh the sound.....)...

Gearbox or gearbox change spindle mech siezes and wont change gear...

Coast's to stop ...

3 cars stop ... "Aahh Ducati".... they say ... "Electric's ???"

:eusa_whistle: SITUATION

Bike is stuck in a false neutral (it seems) ... gear lever seems depressed further than it should ... no amount of gentle hammer knocking or muscle will make it move ... bike will still start and stop from ignition ... there was no 'noise' or vibe preceding failure ... just simply stuck in a false neutral ... 'Neutral' light on dash is 'not' on ...

The frustration wer'e feelin here is palpable ... about to embark on a 5 day round trip to the coast encompasing the MotoGP ... and its Sat pm and no one to ring ...

Any suggestions ... remember this is a brand new bike and we r not mechnics and there's no'one to ring until Monday morning ...

Cheers

Don't do anything to it. If it's under warranty, then just hand it to the Ducati peeps and let them sort it. If you arse about with it and make it worse, then you might get all sorts of problems with them fixing it for nowt.

Throw it into the garage and go and have a beer.

What a pain in the arse.

I had exactly the same thing with my zx6r when it was new (still running it in) , but i managed to get it back into a gear eventually . I tried allsorts of shit like rolling it forward abit , with the clutch in with the clutch out etc , eventually after all this messin about the lever came back up enough with a good yank (i thought i was gona snap the bastard though) .

You could try taking the gear lever of and seeing if the shaft into the box will turn enough now to get it back in gear , as with the gear lever in place it'll only turn so far IYSWIM.

i agree with matty-although i've never even seen an 1198 never mind worked on one so this is kind of a stab in the dark-but maybe they removed the gear linkage that clamps onto the splined shaft that pokes out the left side of the engine-and they've refitted it at the wrong angle and hence jamming up??i would degrease the end of the shaft,mark both the clamp and the splined shaft with a fine permanent pen so it can be refitted exactly where it was before hand if shifting it round a little fails to improve it?or maybe a selector fork has misshifted?but that isn't so simple

A friend of mine had this problem with his a couple of months back 1198s and I think it all stems from a small grub screw on one of the forks in the box not being tight enough and allowing it to move slightly jamming it all up.

He ended up having a new gearbox fitted as it had made the dogs on the gears wear which would have been another problem once it had the first probelm fixed.

Archived