Dry Clutch Conversion

fran9r

There is no slipper clutch kit for my ZX9R (C model) available, so could a dry clutch from a Ducati be used? I appreciate I'd need a different shaft and some modification, but does anyone know the dimensions of a unit?

Any idea of the max bhp such a unit could handle?

Thanks

The only dry clutch conversions i've seen were made by Suter and involved casting/machining a new section of the engine casings.

The zxr400 and i think the 750 came with what Kwak titled the KBTL, Kawasaki Back Torque Limiter. Basically clutch plates adjusted to allow slip. Maybe take a look at them and see if it can be modded to fit yours. I'm guessing as it'd be a similar era bike there is a chance it might share some parts?

Apparently the ZX7R, and the ZX9R B, which is based on the same engine, can swop clutches. Unfortunately they are 'significantly' larger than the C -from another tinterweb search.

Also from a search, it looks as though the later ZX6R would be a better fit, but this would need some investigation.

The machining of an insert would be possible, and an appropriate longer shaft. Just wondered if anyone knew the size of a Ducati dry clutch...maybe a photo of the shaft?

Edit to add: No back torque limiter in the C on bikes, which is a bit shit really. Even with that, I would need something to accomodate the proposed increase in power.

The only dry clutch conversions i've seen were made by Suter and involved casting/machining a new section of the engine casings.

The zxr400 and i think the 750 came with what Kwak titled the KBTL, Kawasaki Back Torque Limiter. Basically clutch plates adjusted to allow slip. Maybe take a look at them and see if it can be modded to fit yours. I'm guessing as it'd be a similar era bike there is a chance it might share some parts?

I think he wants to know if there are any clutches that will fit the standard shaft and primary drive setup... I sounds unlikely, unfortunately! There aren't many bikes with standard dry clutches these days are there? (Excepting Guzzis and Beemers 'cos their clutches are more like those found on cars!)

Archived