Stubby/Chopped cans advice

Kile

Hi all.

Not very knowledgable on these. They seem very frequent on ebay.

I see some people repack them to make sure the bikes runs fine, others dont. In the case of the latter, can a simple bit of fettling via power commander/dyno/other resolve this?

What the general view/thoughts/advice on stubby/chopped cans?

Thanks in advance

Sorry you haven't had a reply Kile, I've wondered the same thing - I've got an accident damaged end can in my shed which is crying out for choppage. It was only 2 weeks old when it was bent near the link pipe. I say bent, it got neatly folded out at 45 degrees but the end caps and about one half of the total length is perfect. It needs the rivets drilling, the tube cutting and then re-assembling but I don't have the gear/knowledge to do it. The case doesn't bother me, it's what's inside that I'm wary of.

Look forward to someone replying...it would look good cut down cos I've got a single-sided swinger and wouldn't be too noisy with the baffle and packing intact.

Christ, there needs to be a book, like a beginners giude to motorcycling with all these things expalined in one place. I have loads of other things id like to know about that you just dont know, but have to find out...

And the mags these days barely give any detail on aftermarket things...

Why do you want to do it ?

looks

noise

Neither of these will give you any real gains in performance over a standard aftermarket can. All you'll get is some attention from the Police and pissed off neighbours.

The overall length of an exhaust is important as the resonating sound waves move along the pipe the get to the end and reflect. If you can get the reflected wave to arive at the cylinder ports at the time they will help scour the pipe so aiding performance.

All the trackdays have noise limits and a cut off can isn't going to pass, so it would be better to have you bike set up for a 105db limit rather than just a loud pipe

Why do you want to do it ?

looks

noise

Neither of these will give you any real gains in performance over a standard aftermarket can. All you'll get is some attention from the Police and pissed off neighbours.

The overall length of an exhaust is important as the resonating sound waves move along the pipe the get to the end and reflect. If you can get the reflected wave to arive at the cylinder ports at the time they will help scour the pipe so aiding performance.

All the trackdays have noise limits and a cut off can isn't going to pass, so it would be better to have you bike set up for a 105db limit rather than just a loud pipe

I have no intention to do it personally. I was looking at purchasing one 2nd hand and had doubts about the negatives you mention above. As replies have been few, Im guessing unless its OE short/stubby, or the seller whos done the work can prove it runs fine and meets the db limit its best to avoid...

Christ, there needs to be a book, like a beginners giude to motorcycling with all these things expalined in one place.

That is reason behind why I asked the powers that be for this bit of the forum to be a central reference point for 'Doin' stuff'

That is reason behind why I asked the powers that be for this bit of the forum to be a central reference point for 'Doin' stuff'

Although for simpleton stuff I was impressed with the workshop giude in the Oct 7th MCN. A bigger scale version of that would be ace. I just have a folder full of giudes rppied outta various mags over the years ;)

Archived