Whats the dif' between US and Euro Spec bikes???????

jamesthehondaman

Are Euro spec bikes restricted????

I live in Australia, in the cooler southern states and I dont know if I use the US map or the "European Model" map for my 08 R1's PCIII.

What could possibly be the diff??????????

I've noticed this on a number of diff model bikes.............

If it's an 'all state' model of the US ike then it'll have fairly tight emmisions regs to conform to: california is about the tightest place in the world with regards that sort of thing. If they do a specific california model and you're comparing the Euro bike to the rest of the states model, then the Euro one will probab have tighter emisions. The also dial in a bit of a flatspot at a certain revs (running rich I think) to meet Euro noise emmisions too, from what I gather.

My understanding is the '49 state' and 'Euro' bikes are typically pretty much the same. It's the California bikes you want to avoid because they tend to be strangled by emissions regs and have weird charcoal canisters and stuff that filter out all the performance, I mean emissions. Californian Dynojet Power Commanders even have half the mapping grey'd out so you can't change things.

Cheers....So I should definately be running with the Euro spec maps......

Much appreciated.....For some reason I thought that it was the Euro (ie french and continental) models that were more restricted than the US models.

Thanks again.

What ron is your fuel? The US generally have wank fuel, but easy access to higher performance stuff. I would imagine that California excepted, thats the case.

French models are stupidly heavily restricted, all other euro ones are full power. French restrictions aren't emmisions based though, it's because the government don't trust the french folk not to kill themselves on the way back from getting their cheese and/or wine.

What ron is your fuel? The US generally have wank fuel, but easy access to higher performance stuff. I would imagine that California excepted, thats the case.

Standard US fuel is 91 Ron whereas the Euro norm is 95 or 97+ for premium fuel. A quick look on the net lists Oz standard fuel as 91-93 Ron and Premium as 95. Based on that if you are planning to run with Euro maps you'd need to plan on Oz Premium fuel or better as your prefered tipple.

Standard US fuel is 91 Ron whereas the Euro norm is 95 or 97+ for premium fuel. A quick look on the net lists Oz standard fuel as 91-93 Ron and Premium as 95. Based on that if you are planning to run with Euro maps you'd need to plan on Oz Premium fuel or better as your prefered tipple.

Yes, I run only 98 RON 'BP Ultimate' most of the time...ran my 07 blade on it too...never missed a beat...there's a BP selling it on almost every day trip etc that I do...

Archived