Seat Covering...

Bickers

I have just got a new seat cover for my ageing RXS100, the previous one is fitted with a combination of pop rivets and self tapers..

It is a metal based seat with foam in, any one a pro and would like to share their wisedom?!?!?! :eusa_whistle:

Not a pro, but on the metal base, are there any really sharp pointy bits punched out of the base that you might be able to hook the new fabric over? If so, with your seat cover I would expect to find a trim strip to go around the bottom of the seat to help hold the cover on, there may be some spring clips with this too.

I'm sure I bought some wide flanged rivets some time back for fixing my old garage door, you can definatley get them

I'm guessing Yamaha would of glued the original on.

If so this is how I do ours.

Take the old cover off and clean up the underside of the seat pan with a wire brush or some emery cloth, you want to get back to bare metal if possible all the way around the the rim of the base.

Dry fit the new cover first taking note of what seams sit where.

Then go buy some contact adhesive Evo-stick will do, I use Alpha (used to be Dunlop) s1358.

With a spreader, spread a thin coat on the reverse side of the cover border then with a brush do the same to the seat pan where you have wire brushed, let it all go completely dry. Now give it a second coat on both surfaces but this time we want to catch the glue when it is 'green' in other words when it is just dry to the touch.

Now start fitting the cover getting known points in place first, like a corner where a seam meets and then start working you way around the seat pulling evenly all the way round, pull downwards not along as you will end up with a load of cover at one end.

Where you have excess material underneath fold it into a point and snip the point off.

You'll get glue everywhere but don't worry it comes off with white spirit.

Hope this helps but it's very difficult to explain in words alone.

Wow... That is extremley helpful cheers!

Just out of nosey curiousity whats the first layer of glue for?!?!

It gives better adhesion by in effect priming the surface.

Archived