Ticking noise

gsxr renegade

Hi guys, quick question. My bike has covered around 17,000 miles, and a while ago, without realising, i'd ran the bike low on oil for a bit (around 100 miles or so). I think it was about 200-250ml below the minimum level.

My question is this, the bike has got a ticking noise coming from the right hand side of the engine when i start it up, and when on a positive throttle. If i shut the throttle, the ticking goes away. It's also sometimes difficult to start when warm.

If it is the cam chain tensioner that needs replacing, can i just bolt a new one in, and the ticking noise will stop? or do i have to adjust/reset anything?

I think it could also be the valve clearances, so if the new cct doesnt cure it, new shims are on the cards!

Any help greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Sounds like the cam chain tensioner to me-pretty easy job to do-some bikes you need a gasket,some you need a special tool to wind them in and release the tension before installing.Need to know what bike it is really.Valve clearances reduce and get quieter so doubtful its that.It's also not uncommon for a CCT to be just borderline about to click onto the next 'step' of its adjustment before it quietens down-can be done manually by loosening off the mounting bolts until a single click is heard-This method could go horribly wrong if you do it incorrectly though.

EDIT:Having said all that normally i find the noise from a cct to be on negative throttle,i can only describe it as a chain being dragged over a bar??if it were me i would remove the cct and check its locking in position ok-ratchet teeth can break.

Yep, I'd agree that an iffy CCT would usually be noisy on a closed throttle and smooth out after a couple of thousand rpm.

Sorry, forogt to add its a k8 gsxr 750.

It doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out, if it's in gear or in neutral, i still get the ticking noise. It's just a ticking sound, doesn't sound like a chain being dragged over a bar, or anything.

It's go a hydraulic CCT, don't know if that makes any difference?

Cheers for the help guys!

sounds fooked , i'll give ya a tenner for it ( I know , i'm cutting me own throat going that much ) .CCT's are usually noiser on the overrun , it might be summat simple like one of the vacuum adaptor plugs popped off , this could cock up the starting if it's the one attached to one with a vac sensor on it

CCT on a 2008 bike? Oof, surely not...

Yeah but its done almost 17000 miles. And I ran it a bit low on oil for a short while. Will this not affect the cct much?

If I needed to replace the cct, would I need to replve the tensioner blades as well?

My bike has covered around 17,000 miles

I think it could also be the valve clearances,

Pretty sure you should have had the valve clearances checked and adjusted at 16,000 miles. If you didn't, then it is overdue.

Yep, but how often are valves that far out after the first inspection that you can hear them? It's probably fairly low on the list of suspects, and if it was the valves then it'd only be because of another issue that's caused it.

Howabout balancing the throttle bodies?although i wouldnt bother until the valve clearances are set.the cam chain blades last for ages and wouldnt have thought they need replacing-Why not drain the oil and check for foreign things.

Why not drain the oil and check for foreign things.

What if the oil is not made in the UK? Would that count?

Archived