Cool ZXR

bigkev

Just come back from a 4400 mile jaunt round europe on the ZXR 750 and it ran spot on, but it runs way too cool the highest i saw on the temp guage being 62deg and that was in Croatia where the outside temp was 36deg. I've checked the rad with a heat gun and the guage is right I've replaced the thermostat and covered up half the rad and it still struggles to get to 50deg .

Any ideas

Mine's like this on my zx7r, although I've never had the 'stat out and I don't know if it's even in there etc. Basically the temp guage will barely read in average traffic, it'll come up to about a third of the way before the fan cuts in and it'll be about half way in between that if I'm on a track day or something. My logic is if the fan cuts in at a third of the way up then it means that the guage is out by a bit, rather than the cooling system itself. The whole of my radiator gets hot and it's fine with coolant etc, I just think it's a dodgy guage.

Provided it's not just giving a bit of a duff reading, I thought that engines worked best somewhere around 75C?

As an SP2 owner I'm a bit jealous of people who have bikes that run a bit cool. :P

The zxr400 race bikes run cool, most remove the oil cooler, many tape up the radiator and some replace the 'stat but you loose power if its cold just as much if its too hot dont ya? Tolerances are correct when hot?

Thanks for the replies, I've checked it over with a heat gun and the guage is only 1deg out , I dont like it running cool as the pistons dont expand to the right size as Will224 says,so in effect they are rattling up and down the bores a bit. My YZF 750 goes straight up to 82 and never varies more than 3deg beyond that even on the track. Think I'll just cover the rad a bit more.

What are you running in the way of coolant? My mito wouldnt run at over 40 degrees after I rebuilt it but this was because I was just using water. "Coolant" with anti-freeze and glycol and whatever else in it is actually less efficient at keeping the engine temp down. Ive got some neat Fuchs Eskimo in it now and it runs at a steady 55 degrees when on the move and dosent seem to get over 75 in traffic. Hope this helps, Ben.

Archived