Bearing size charts?

lorenzo

I'm after doing a bit of twiddling with bearing things, specifically headstock bearings. Anybody know if there's a website or some software I can sneakily put what size I want in and then it'll spit out a code for the one I want?

Anybody know of any more of these sorts of sites? The one listed doesn't have any that are 47x30x14ish, and are suitable as the top bearing on a headstock, which is a bummer

Anybody know of any more of these sorts of sites? The one listed doesn't have any that are 30x47x14ish, and are suitable as the top bearing on a headstock, which is a bummer

Most of the bearing manufacturers have online catalogues. ICBA to find them for you but I'm sure you can figure out how to google SKF, INA/FAG, Timken, Koyo etc.

FAG paper catalogue (closest to hand) doesn't have any taper roller bearings in that sort of size - you're looking at 25x47x15 or 30x55x17.

Their angular contact ball bearings are even further off the mark.

When I was doing the SR/FZR front end swap I tried a number of bearing suppliers and told them what I wanted. When I told them it was for a bike headstock they said that the only way to get them was from a headstock bearing supplier, as opposed to a generic industrial supplier.

For the GS yes? Do you know the steering stem diameter at the bearing site for the GS? Your problem, as I see it without you saying it, is that you need bearings to fit on the stem of the GSXR, that will fit in the headstock of the GS yes?

You may be lucky and find that the stock GS sizes work with the GSXR forks and stem, do you have a GS stem to measure?

^^^^^

This, or if that wont work, how about using the gs stem in the gsxr yokes. Or again, if that wont work it wouldnt cost much to get a stem turned in the right size for gs bearings/gsxr yokes.

First off Tom, that stuff from your bearing supplier, about them needing to be special head bearings fro a head bearings supplier. It's bollocks. If you were to take a note of the code on the top of your headstock bearings then gave that to the supplier then that'd be all they needed. Obviously, one brand of bearing may be of a better quality than another, and may last longer etc, but a bearing built to spec X is going to do the job, no matter who sells it to you. I suspect that they may have just been covering themselves for things like law-suits etc in case one of their cheapo bearings failed, but whatever the reason, so long as the bearing is of the right design then it would be OK for as long as its life-span.

Anyway, as it stands, I've got bottom bearings that fit a treat. The top bearing is a bit tricky because nobody seems to do a bearing in the correct size (it needs to be quite wide and flat) for me to just squeeze it in betwween the GS frame and the GSXR stem. The next step I think will be to see what can be found that's about 6mm smaller in its outside diameter, and then get a collar made up to take up the difference.

The problem with doing things with the original GS stem is two-fold: Firstly it'd be a shame to start doing things with the stem as the bottom bearing is available from stock and fits like a glove. I think that's an omen that we shold carry on with the stem. Secondly we don't have a GS stem, so I've resorted to things like saying "it's an omen" and I'm going to plough on regardless.

Just quickly, does anybody know if it's a bad thing to use roller bearings at the bottom and old style balls at the top?

I'm well aware that they could be spinning me a line, however when three say the same thing I started to wonder.

I was also encountering problems such as your-

The top bearing is a bit tricky because nobody seems to do a bearing in the correct size (it needs to be quite wide and flat) for me to just squeeze it in betwween the GS frame and the GSXR stem. The next step I think will be to see what can be found that's about 6mm smaller in its outside diameter, and then get a collar made up to take up the difference.

When I was doing wheel bearings in the Guzzi I used an SKF bearing for the second time as the first 'guzzi' replacement was shit and failed within 300 miles...

Good luck in your hunt.

I am being smug as the DR bearing it will for the FZR stem, and thus my front end :eusa_whistle:

Why would there be a problem with using a ball tops? When manufacturers started using taper bearings, all the older bikes with ball tops didn't suddenly crash.

Have you bought that awesome seat yet?

I'm well aware that they could be spinning me a line, however when three say the same thing I started to wonder.

I was also encountering problems such as your-

When I was doing wheel bearings in the Guzzi I used an SKF bearing for the second time as the first 'guzzi' replacement was shit and failed within 300 miles...

Good luck in your hunt.

I am being smug as the DR bearing it will for the FZR stem, and thus my front end :lol:

Why would there be a problem with using a ball tops? When manufacturers started using taper bearings, all the older bikes with ball tops didn't suddenly crash.

Have you bought that awesome seat yet?

It wasn't if there'd be a problem about the balls, just wondering if there was any wierdness associated with mixing between the two, rollers bottom and balls at the top.

The awesome seat seller wanted $120 shipping. Gulp...

Archived