Hot Exhaust + Plastic Cover = Sticky Mess

Dom

Guys,

due to a combination of impatience and cheap bike cover I now have plastic melted to my once gleaming exhaust. :eusa_dance:

So, how the hell do I get it off? I've pulled off what I can and have had a good scrub with WD40 and a plastic scourer which has shifted some of more the gunk but there is still a lot left.

Any tips?

Try warming it with a heat gun to soften it up.

If the exhaust is stainless you could try some paint stripper to melt the plastic and then wipe it away with some meths.

Nitromoors got some melted boot off my stainless link pipe on my old zx6r a treat, never marked or discoloured the pipe one bit.

Guys,

due to a combination of impatience and cheap bike cover I now have plastic melted to my once gleaming exhaust. :wub:

So, how the hell do I get it off? I've pulled off what I can and have had a good scrub with WD40 and a plastic scourer which has shifted some of more the gunk but there is still a lot left.

Any tips?

What bike was it? Not an RSV-R is it? I've done exactly the same with mine whenever I've had the bellypan off and forgotten to remove the heat shield - melted it a couple of times running the engine just in the driveway (thinking why can I smell burning plastic) and once took it for a test-ride which finally finished the heat shield off!!!

I just carried on running the bike as normal - the worst of it burned off quite quickly and eventually it all burned off.

Of course if you decide to try this and your bike catches fire then that's your own lookout :D

Archived