Fuel cap compatibility

trident_special

I've got an early nineties Triumph and the fuel cap has five bolts holding it to the tank. I'd like to change said cap for something without a key however nobody seems to make a cap for the specific bike. I was wondering if any other bikes shared this particular arrangement. I've been poking around some aftermarket catalogues and it appears that certain Kawasakis also have five bolt caps, however I wanted to poke the forum's collective brains before shelling out the cash.

This here be the original fuel cap in question...

3931732592_a75a22bcb8_o.jpg

Cheers folks!

Cagiva Mito Evo has a 5 bolt cap but whether the bolts are the same spacing or not is anothe matter. I think a lot of italian bikes use the same fitment but would have to check (Aprilia, Laverda, Moto Guzzi etc.). Ducati 916/748 is the same too but many of the aftermarket caps only use 3 bolts. Ive got an aftermarket one for a 916 fitted to a mito and it needed no modifications to fit it. Im sure you already know this but if you're looking at aftermarket ones then double and triple check that the cap is actually vented. The one I bought was advertised as vented, hell it even has a vent. It just happens that between the vent and the outside world is the screw in cap which has a big o-ring on it which basically means the vent is useless. Hope this helps, Ben.

Sv650 / SV1000 / GSXR600/750 K4 on has 5 bolts but only three used to mount cap to tank

HTH

Now that you mention it I think the Trumpet cap also only has 3 bolts holding it to the tank. I shall inspect it over the weekend. Thanks for the answers!

• 2 weeks later...
My R1 (4xv) is the same.... 5 bolts, but 3 attaching the cap to the tank. That doesn't have a key/keyhole either......

and here is a Yamaha petrol cap, albeit a Harris one. This is from my 4xv R1 but I believe this is a fairly standard fit across a lot of Yamaha models

Harrispetrolcap.jpg

only the bolts at 12, 5 and 7 o'clock are used to fix the cap to the tank. The other two bolts are dummies, just held on with a nut underneath.

Might be worth having a word with Harris, they may be able to assist or advise.

HTH

Archived