Recommend me a front stand

Number 6

I'm fed up struggling with axle stands and the like so I'm on the look out for a front paddock stand. I want one of the ones that locates under the headstock so I can remove the forks and such.

I've done a scan of ebay and there are several on there but some of them look a bit precarious at best.

So I'm looking for recommendations, bearing in mind the Katana is a heavy old beast.

TTFN

You can't use the headstock type if you want to take the forks out, the spigot locates into the steerer tube. This type of front stand is only really for use with tyre warmers and light maintenance.

Have a look at the Abba stand kit, it locates into the swing arm pivot, I don't know if this is going to be suitable for the Kat. As your bike has frame loops that go under the engine and run reasonably horizontal, you could do what I did for my old 750 slabby and and make up a special stand that lifts the bike in this area. This would then allow you to drop the forks out (or indeed the swing arm out). Its not that difficult to do, just be prepared to have a couple of goes to perfect the design.

A bike as nice as your deserves something a bit better than an ordinary stand :icon_pale:

I know it locates in the steerer tube, then you loosen the yoke bolts and drop out the forks........

What I'd really like is one of those jobbies like the endurance bikes use.

Sorry, I failed to explain correctly.

The location of the spigot into the steerer tube is a very loose interference fit. This means that the bike is swaying around all over the shop when you get the spanners twirling. Not exactly confidence inspiring. It works OK if you remember to slacken the relevant bolts before lifting on the stand, but there's always (at least) one bolt I forget. Then you have the option of dropping it off the stand and starting again.

I prefer to use a block and tackle to do this, swings around a bit but at least I know its not going to fall.

I have a block and tackle as well but only like to use it once all the bodywork is off and out of the way.

No, the more I think about it I WANT one of those endurance jobbies, any ideas where I'll find one?

I have a block and tackle as well but only like to use it once all the bodywork is off and out of the way.

No, the more I think about it I WANT one of those endurance jobbies, any ideas where I'll find one?

Are talking about one of the centre lift endurance stands?

If so then I can help out but they aint cheap.

Easy enough to make though if you've got a welder.

I've used one of the stands that locates in the steerer and it was rock solid. So solid we moved the bike across the workshop without a front wheel just using the wheels on the stand. Guess it depends on if the spigot fits properly? Normally they come with different sizes?

Sorry, I failed to explain correctly.

The location of the spigot into the steerer tube is a very loose interference fit. This means that the bike is swaying around all over the shop when you get the spanners twirling.

Not in my experience. I've got a Harris Performance stand that locates into the headstock. Combined with an Abba stand, the bike is rock-solid stable.

IMG_0654.jpg

it gets regular use for changing wheels and general maintenance, I've had the forks out before too, no bother.

I'm staggered to see they cost £118.30 ex vat according to the Harris webshite; I've had mine a few years and recall it cost about half that. Maybe stainless steel prices have jumped.

But it is beautifully made and whilst there are [much] cheaper stands out there, as always you get what you pay for.

I bought a cheap shitty front stand and it was cheap and shitty. So I bunged it on ebay and bought the Harris one. Go for quality.

I bought one with a rear stand 2nd hand off ebay for a measley £35, rich7/11 bought the back one off me for £25 and then trigger knocked me up a dongle for the middle that fits a treat, giving about 0.5mm clearance all round as it slots on in. Once mine's on, along with the rear paddock stand the bike's stable enough to do more or less anything with it, I'm a true convert, especially in comparison to my cheapo front stand I had before. Mine's made by 'trickstand', and although it's a fold-down type with metal pegs that locate in it to stop it folding up I'd say it's plenty strong enough for a Kat, being as I had my zx7r on there for about 2 weeks while Maxton sorted my forks out and it didn't move an inch.

If you do make your own, see if you can borrow one of somebody (I'll lend you mine if you're near Manc) so you can get dimensions, and as your bike's heavy try and do yours with an especially long handle bit for extra leverage; mine's pretty lengthy and it still needs a good shove to get it up*.

* I know, I added the inuendo for extra joviality, but it's true in the stand context at least.

I have a real old school Champion one. With the correct bushes to get it snug in the headstock stem its as solid as a rock. No faff or overdone styling to them either - just solid, reliable and effective.

Mine was a tenner plus about 8 quid postage on fleabay.

I use one of these, and for £55 it does a stirling job, I've had the complete front end off it no problem and that was with either the Abba stand or crappy old Micron stand holding t'other end.

Must admit, I did have to purchase the correct 24mm pin, but once I did it's been rock solid.

Try www.on-bike.com, for £325you can get the whole bike off the ground to over waist height and work onit. If you want to take the forks out, you remove the wheel supports (before putting the bike on) and slide on the "under engine" and "under shock" cups, and lift the bike. I have one of these, bought it about 10 years ago, its bloody well handy, for major strip downs/rebuilds etc. Also use normal front and rear paddock stands for everyday servicing etc. Mine is the "Original red", and once I've had it resprayed, will be up for sale (unless anyone wants to buy it now £150 buyer to collect)

Paul

I really rate Harris stands.

If you can wait then going along to the NEC show and visiting the Harris stand normally pays dividends. I think I paid £110 for a front and rear pair in '07.

I need the same stand as you because some thieving lowlife made off with a front stand while I was out on track so will be taking my own advice!

Archived