Do I have to run a Power Commander

dawnrazor

Have wanted to put a Yoshi tri oval dual exit slip on, onto my GSXR1000K6 for awhile now, as I reckon they look the business , but price has been a major restriction. So up until now it has run as factory standard.

I just spotted a carbon second hand pipe on ebay at a decent price and am thinking it might be a go. As much as I would love to pop a PCIII on as well, I can't afford to stretch to that in the near future, so I would be looking at running the bike with just the yoshi in place of the original pipe. I'd like to get a K&N or BMC filter on there at some point as well.

I know the Suzuki dealers have a "Yoshi Box" that can be plugged in to adjust fuelling, will I be okay to just do this, or do I really need a to fit a PCIII and put it on the DYNO etc.

I guess I'm concerned I will screw up the bike by just fitting the pipe only. Not sure it makes a difference but I'm also running a Timing Retard Eliminator as well.

So Yoshi only. Yoshi and Filter. Or Yoshi, Filter PC and DYNO. I know what I'd LOVE to do, but what's the minimum I can do :(

Appreciate all input, cheers.

Get the yoshi on it NOW for god sake! (Tries to block out mental image of standard can)

Yo don't strickly need the PC but I'd recommed one once you can manage it. Second hand units on ebay can be as little as a ton. And dyno tuning is the noughties equivelent of an engine blueprint. Kinda.

Airfilter would be bottom of my list of priorities.

My K5 1000 has a LOR can and link pipe on it, so no zorst valve. The PO has disabled the valve by removing the wire from the ECU loom connector, removing the cables from the solenoid so as to avoid the FI warning you'll get if the valve is not actuated.

If you fit the Yosh, you'll prolly have to lose the valve as it is part of the can assembly. There is loads of info out there on how to do it.

The fuelling may be a little off on my bike, but the motor runs fine, and the plugs all look perfect when inspected. Not sure that would be the case if you fitted an aftermarket filter, though when PB tested filters, they found very little difference over the paper OEM ones.

Fit the Yoshi, you'll not regret it.

Save for a PC3 and dyno session.

If the bike is a keeper and the pipe really is cheap, you could always get it now and have the PC and dyno work done at a later date when you have had a chance to save up some more pennies.

If it's only a slip on then I doubt you'll need a PC, as you'll still have the catalytic converter, exhaust valve, and lambda sensor in place.

Slip on, and air filter and you might notice a difference. But again, shouldnt be too bad as all of the sensory gubbins are still in place. this is when i'd look at getting the fuelling looked at.

It's only if you fit a full system that you really need to look at getting it set up on a dyno etc. Even then, you may not need to, I've got a full akrapovic system on my bike, and the fuelling seems fine, as the lambda sensor is still used, and the bike seems to have adjusted the AF ratio by itself.

Got the Yoshi pipe. Picking it up tomorrow.

Screenshot2009-09-28at1136.png

Cresent Suzuki have these discounted new for 750 QUID!! I picked this one up for $600NZ (270 QUID) second hand :D I'm pretty chuffed. I can't wait to pop it on. I haven't been able to find Yoshimura fitting instructions for this particular model, however I have managed to download a couple of PDFs of fitting instructions for Yoshis current range fittings for my bike model, I'm sure the nuts and bolts are the same and the wire removal from the ECU should be the same as well...

I'll post picks of it in place once I've managed to do it :( Not until Wednesday though. I'm going to see how it runs before I go looking at PCs and dynos etc

If it's only a slip on then I doubt you'll need a PC, as you'll still have the catalytic converter, exhaust valve, and lambda sensor in place.

If the bike is a K6, then the zorst valve is part of the HUGE std can. I think the cat is in the snout of the can too, not sure though.

Can looks lovely, it'll make a massive difference to the horsepower impression ratio...

Got my new pipe today. One point of note however. The previous owner had the pipe fitted with a connection for a fuel sensor to run it with a PC I guess. Seeing as I don't have a PC at the moment, I need to plug the hole for the time being. So is there a particular screw in plug I need to buy or will a regular short bolt or something similiar do the trick???

cheers

Got my new pipe today. One point of note however. The previous owner had the pipe fitted with a connection for a fuel sensor to run it with a PC I guess. Seeing as I don't have a PC at the moment, I need to plug the hole for the time being. So is there a particular screw in plug I need to buy or will a regular short bolt or something similiar do the trick???

cheers

Find a bolt that will fit, it'll be fine.

Find a bolt that will fit, it'll be fine.

Thank you, hopefully I'll fit this over the next few days - will post pictures :icon_blackeye:

• 1 month later...

Had the pipe on now for a few weeks and its a peach.... Its got a great sound, and isn't overly loud, a great rumble. Haven't noticed any performance issues as a result, but will keep an eye on that side of things for a while. I'm not tempted to do any other mods for the moment at any rate.....

DSC_0683.jpg

Very nice indeed! I've got a lump in my pants that wasn't there a second ago. Anyhoo, she might seem fine but but what's the harm in sticking her on the dyno? Won't cost much for a simple run and they'll tell you how the mixtures are doing. It won't be all that noticeable if she's running lean and that would be seriously fucking bad in the long run.

Oddly enough, I just won one (DJPC3) for a ton. Will let you know if my K5 runs better with the PC3, and map off the DJPC website or not.

• 2 weeks later...

im getting a power commander this next week. i have a slip on and not sure about my filter. havent changed it since i bought it with 3500 miles. anyway found a local place to dyno and tune it for 105.00 . im so pumped ill let you guys no how it goes

Not had a chance to fit mine as the eBay seller was very sow getting it sent out, but SWMBO reckons it arrived today. Fit it this weekend then!

Not had a chance to fit mine as the eBay seller was very sow getting it sent out, but SWMBO reckons it arrived today. Fit it this weekend then!

Let us know how you get on. I've been looking at getting a power commander and want to know how easy they are to fit yourself. Ta :icon_blackeye:

Piece of piss to fit. Only pain in the arse is taking the tank and seat unit off. Then it's just a case of splitting the connectors and installing the PC connectors between. Basically bypassing the system. One for each cylinder, then you've just got to track down the Throttle Position Sensor and do the same thing with that.

Archived